Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repousse on belt plates?
Is there any historical evidence for repousse work in the Republican or Triumvirate era on belt plates? For example, thin silver or cupro sheet repoussed and then brazed or soldered to a stiffer cupro alloy backing plate? Thanks in advance Smile
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
The beltplates that are from Pompeii are a set that indicate that they are constructed from repousse' style of work, when examined closely we find that an artist craftsman may have had punches made from his repousse' work then all of the parts put together.

As I have said when examined correctly we find that each plate is made up from six different pieces there is first the square flat background field piece, then the boarders are made up from four strips that have been stamped out, then the picture panels are soldered to the background field plate.
This is of course not counting the two long pins with their tiny balls soldered onto them, so we can in fact say each plate is made from twelve pieces.
Brian Stobbs
In fact when we look at the frog plates these are made up from fourteen pieces.
Brian Stobbs
But the Pompeji plates are not late republican, are they?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Christian.
I find you are so true for I did not read up the question correctly, not to worry for I think after all I have explained the Pompeii ones and their construction very well correct.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Roman Belt with mixed plates models. Rado 15 6,009 08-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Tinning belt plates 2biggij 9 3,362 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets Pointer 24 4,665 08-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Last Post: ROMan