Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurion hazing?
Salve,<br>
<br>
I thought maybe someone out there could help fill some holes in my own research...I'm trying to locate any sources that would describe whether or not there was any 'official' or unofficial ceremony that accompanied a legionaire's promotion/appointment to centurion? I know that the cult of Mithra was popular around the 1st and 2nd century A.D. and that entailed a lot of rituals which may have carried over into everyday military life, and so I was wondering if anyone has come across anything that might describe the process of 'welcoming' a new centurion into the army. And besides the vine staff and horizontal crest for their helmets, were there any other items bestowed specifically to centurions, like signet rings (for signing official documents maybe?), etc. etc. etc to denote their authority/station?<br>
<br>
Being in America, I don't often get the latest info from the Vindolanda letters, and latest archeological finds...so thanks for any help! (oh wouldn't it be great to know a letter exists out there that starts, "You would have loved the party last night, Dad, we put Marcus, that new Centurion I was telling you about, through Hades and back by ...." )<br>
<br>
Uale!<br>
<br>
Britannicus<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ugaiusaquiliusbritannicus.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Gaius Aquilius Britannicus</A> at: 8/9/02 11:25:48 pm<br></i>
Britannicus,<br>
<br>
Did you read Jack Whyte's novels by chance?<br>
<br>
Anyway, not sure about the hazing, but the centurion also wore greaves which came up to and included the knee, and were sometimes very intricate with embossing and stamping. The centurion also wore lorica hamata or lorica squamata, as opposed to segmentata. The centurion's balteus was devoid of apron straps, and he carried his sword on the left, as opposed to the right. Peter Connolly has some good pictures of a centurion in "Greece and Rome at War", or if you can't get your hands on that book, there are some good re-enactment units out there with some decent centurion representations. (the ESG comes to mind, or Legio XIV GMV)<br>
<br>
Hope that helps!<br>
<br>
<p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Gratis tibi ago! I give you many thanks Magnus!<br>
<br>
Actually, I have not read the novels you mention...I take it they refer in part to my question? I'll have to look into them...can never have too many Roman reads lying around.<br>
<br>
Regarding the armor, though, I have read quite a bit of Connolly's, Bishop's, and Davies' works, as well as many others, so I'm pretty up to speed on that, but I was hoping to find out some more information on the 'smaller' items that may not have made it into the popular, general discussions of the legionaire's (specifically the centurion's) kit. Things that might only be discovered by studying archeological digs, journal articles, and the like (and unfortunately, my library time has been greatly reduced of late).<br>
<br>
I mentioned the signet ring in particular because lately I have been trying to read the translations of some of the many papyrus finds out there, a number of which talk about the centurion issuing orders for patrols to bring in wanted men, oversee disputes, etc, and so I wondered if they were individually given some sort of official seal to impress or sign on orders, or did they just stamp their orders with the seal of state, so to speak? Or did they just need their signature for things like that?<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks again! This list seems like a tremendous resource to have happened upon.<br>
<br>
Uale!<br>
<br>
Britannicus <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
<br>
The <i> vitis</i>, vine staff, and <i> crista transversa</i>, transverse helmet crest, are the only certain marks of the centurion's position. Other supposed peculiarities of the centurionate are not firmly attested. The wearing of the sword on the left, as depicted on the stones of Minucius, Facilis and Festus, is not restricted to the rank of <i> centurio</i>. There are various depictions of other ranks, both noncoms like the <i> aquilifer</i> and ordinary soldiers, showing them wearing the sword on the left rather than right hip. Josephus moreover describes Roman troops as wearing their swords on the left. Use of greaves was not restricted to the centurionate either. The soldiers on the Adamklissi monument shows these worn by ordinary troops. Use of silvered equipment s also sometimes mentioned as a mark of centurion's rank, but once again the practice was not in fact limited to that specific rank, used by other ranks as well. Centurions are depicted with anatomical cuirasses, mail and scale armour, all types not resctricted to their rank.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Getting a commission in the centurionate was called an <i> ordinatio</i> (eg <i> AE</i> 1996, 1339). It may have involved formally handing the officer his vine stick (as indicated by <i> CIL</i> 5, 7009 <i> ...mihi vitem dederunt...</i> '... they have given me the vine staff ...') though it is by no means certain that it might not have been a simple figure of speech rather than a ceremony.<br>
<br>
Speidel, M.P., 'The tribune's choice in the promotion of centurions' in: <i> ZPE</i> 100 (1994), 469-470.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Gratis tibi ago!<br>
<br>
I appreciate all the help. Thanks again!<br>
<br>
Britannicus <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ugaiusaquiliusbritannicus.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Gaius Aquilius Britannicus</A> at: 8/14/02 9:52:33 pm<br></i>