Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celtic Auxilia
Avete,
In addition to my query about the clipeus,

1) what sort of cingulum would be likely for Celt auxilia from Gaul, mid 1st C AD? I don't suppose the heavily ornamented Legionary ones would be used, but how simplified should they be?

2) tunics: long or short sleeved? Color to match the legion, or native plaids/stripes?

having a little trouble getting our unit gear together, mostly owing to lack of information.

Valete,
M. Demetrius
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Actually, it seems the infantry auxilia were pretty proud of their equipment too and their belts and cingulums we no less decorated than the legionaries and actually sometimes more intricate.
That depends on the period of course. This is true (probably) for the 1st/2nd centuries CE. Later on the equipment became more or less standardized.
Pascal Sabas
Avete,
We've decided (with a little help from Dan) that it might be better if our Celts adopted more the position of Numerii instead of full auxilia at the start.

Could someone point me in a direction that's readily accessible concerning these irregulars. (Hey, a bran muffin in the morning is said to cure irregularity, if we can find muffini branii, we'll become auxiliae) :wink: Heh.

Thanks
M. Demetrius
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
During the republic the roman used very little Celts, but if they used it, most of them were cavalry.
I don´t if this help