Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperator Iasper: a poll
Okay, Orlando sounds like a good idea then. We are suppose to have another hurricane season like 04 and 05, so November is probably the best bet. Prices will be higher, but the weather better (For those who do not know, Florida in the summer can be brutal to those used to a much warmer clime)

You know, I have not been scuba diving yet...I want to , but never seem to get around to taking the lessons.

Do you have a preference for what you want to do next? I remember you saying you wanted Europe, but doing what? Just curious...
Quote:November is probably the best bet.

I agree! Let's set a date for November on the RAT calendar. Ideas? My schedule is always dicey but if I put in some leave well in advance it should be good to go.

As for SCUBA, I really recommend it! Been diving since 1997, the Red Sea was the best (and everyone should see it now before the Egyptians ruin the reefs completely with their fleet of 150 dive boats. Ras Mohammed is already kind of a joke. The Thistlegorm (awesome WWII wreck) looks like an underwater beehive, it's so crowded. Cry

Mostly the diving up here is caverns and springs, which are great -- but you know, when you've seen a cavern once, it doesn't change much the next time. Big Grin Not really worth the $30 it often takes to get in the privately owned sites.

Next assignment, good question -- I wish I knew for sure. If the nomination goes through, I will be a public affairs officer with NATO's Allied Rapid Reaction Force. Uber-cool job, really the brass ring -- if it happens. I'm waiting to see! 8)

Where were you stationed, OE?
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I will certainly try and make time to learn, with that recommendation! The Keys are only 2-3 hours away, with what is suppose to be some of the best reef diving around. I always wanted to try it.

As to a hard date, let me ask around. I work for a chemical company that deals with Healthcare and Hospitality, so I might be able to find what nice hotels have the best rates at that time of year. I will find out ASAP.

Wow, PAO for the RRF! Certainly a big step to the top!

Hmmm...well, I went to basic, AIT, Airborne and Ranger training at Benning. Air Assault at Ft. Campbell. Spent a year in Korea, a while in Central America, back to Benning, Desert Shield/Storm for 9 months, 3 years in Germany (3rd ID, Schweinfurt, GE) then hear and there for short assignments. Standard grunt world tour... Big Grin

How about you? Europe and Florida, been in Recruitment command the whole time, or just there as a punishment? :lol:
Quote:...probably for fall as it's getting cooler.
If you're looking at the fall, I might be able to join you. Right now it looks like I'll be attending the Airlift Tanker Association convention 29 Oct - 1 Nov. They'll be a banquet one night, but the other evenings I'd be free.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:I am a recruiting company commander, only until December -- thank God!
Is the final comment inspired by the intrinsic rewards of recruiting duty, or by the inherent joys of command..?
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:Airlift Tanker Association convention

Confusedhock:
Do i want to know what that convention is all about?
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:

Confusedhock:

From what I hear, it is just a get together for people who pass gas.
Quote:
pelgr003:lekup7m7 Wrote:

Confusedhock:

From what I hear, it is just a get together for people who pass gas.
Now, there's a comment from someone familiar with the Tanker mission! They are the big refueling aircraft that many militaries of the world have today. The Airlift mission refers to the aircraft that transport personnel and materiel. In the U.S. these two missions are primarily combined under the auspices of the Air Mobility Command. This meeting is a professional gathering for members of the airlift and tanker community.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
:lol: I had a few friends in the AF, so they taught me a some of the "insider" jokes...one of them let me crawl back into the KC135 refueling station...not sure how you stay awake laying down to work!
Quote::lol: I had a few friends in the AF, so they taught me a some of the "insider" jokes...one of them let me crawl back into the KC135 refueling station...not sure how you stay awake laying down to work!

Yes, that has to be an interesting job... but it's also a demanding one where their focus needs to be on safely connecting with the aircraft being refueled. Like many military job... hours of boredom followed by minutes of intense stress. I suspect the C-130 refueling of helicopters, with their whirling blades, is even more stressful. I've done neither, but certainly appreciate the skills and concentration of those who do.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium