Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ye Olde Armour Polished By Ancient Alchemie
This is borrowed from an old Arabic source who may or may not have borrowed it from and older Greek or Roman source.

To clean mail or armour, use "a mixture of sand, grease, ash and dung". In this recipe we will forget the dung. I'm not sure what it is supposed to accomplish and I don't really want to know.

I have not tried this yet but will make some soon. In the next week or two. But it should work...

Place a cup or two of river sand, which in an arid climate is mostly silicon and granite, in a bucket of water. As the particulates start to settle pour the water into sequential containers. The sediment will grade from coarse to fine and almost clay like. Let dry. Mix the different sediments with lard or olive oil and ash from your fireplace or charcoal grill. Mix proportions until you get a paste. Do this while your wife is not at home and will not throw a fit about the mess. Rub or scrub amour starting with coarse paste and finish with the fine sediment. Buff with that pink fuffy towl reserved for your mother-in-law.

Add more olive oil for mail, and do like hand laundry working the mixture into the rings.

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)
Stay tuned for results, or better yet, YOU do it first and tell us what works best.
dung, at least from horses and camels and cattle and sheep....
is mostly grass. You could take mulched grass from your lawn mower, and add to the mix. Probably the vegetable fibers help in cleaning.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dulling Polished Metal Decimus Aurelius Varus 18 4,834 05-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Was the Lorica REALLY polished? DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS 82 31,156 12-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Aluscladiusmaximus