Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LEATHER LORICA SEGMENTATA
Perhaps the segmentata looking armour covering the chaps thighs are part of a dismounted Catephracts panoply? Did they not use segmented armour of iron bands? Going all the way down the leg and arms?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Is leather the only found examples of lamellar? I'm sure eastern lamellar that I've seen is also leather.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The whole debate on the armour on the Columns is about how accurately the armour is portrayed.

The only way to make a working version of the Column segs is to make them from leather, and that's what this thread is about to start with. I and others don't believe in using them as examples of accurate portrayals of what the actual gear that soldiers wore, but there are those who believe in them implicitly.

I err towards them being stylised as simplistic representations of different types of soldier, so that the average citizen could immediately differentiate who is doing what during the respective campaigns. After all, if the segs are accurate, then were hamata rings randomly placed all over the place and approximately two inches in diameter? I also suspect the "Attic" style helmets are Italic A's, which Robinson believed where probably for vigiles and Praetorians, both of which would be readily available for modelling from in Rome. Note how the gear contrasts heavily with the Adamklissi representations, where the armour is verified by actual archaeological finds, unlike the Columns.

The mosaic in question seems to follow the style of the Columns, which makes complete sense when you consider the stories are Biblical, and a logical assumption (dangerous word) is that they are deliberately using past armour to depict past times, and using the Columns as references for that.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Do you have a Roman example? :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
That all still does not prove any leather segmentata ever existed.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 644 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,292 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 691 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong