Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Italic D Helmet
This may have been discussed before, but if I recall, the original "Italic D" does not have the eagles in such detail.

Thus I was wondering why it was included in the deepeeka version which is otherwise excellent. I am entertaining purchasing this helmet which is why I am asking.

Also, the eagles' base appears to extend well below the peek, as can be seen on the reconstruction by Brian Stobbs (Armamentarium) and on the original.

I know Brian Stobbs also detailed the eagles but this was only at the customers request.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:This may have been discussed before, but if I recall, the original "Italic D" does not have the eagles in such detail. ...

I know Brian Stobbs also detailed the eagles but this was only at the customers request.
The original does have details which is attested to by the museum staff and those who examined it with their fingers, not old photos :wink: It's in one of the 'new Italic D' threads, brought to light by Heiko IIRC.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Actually, some detail is visible through the display glass as well. Fingers not required. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks for the reply.

It would seem logical that there would be something on those eagles but looking at the RAT photos I cannot see anything.

I guess touching it or having new closeup images would reveal more.
I remember speaking to Dan Peterson who also told me that the eagles on the original do not have signs of detail.

Thus knowing who he is and what I could not see on the RAT photos gave me a certain bias towards the details on the eagles.

Tarbicus, do you have that thread so that I can read it.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Apparently, what can be seen as detail is fairly limited, but it's there:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 9909#79909
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:This may have been discussed before, but if I recall, the original "Italic D" does not have the eagles in such detail.

Thus I was wondering why it was included in the deepeeka version which is otherwise excellent. I am entertaining purchasing this helmet which is why I am asking.

Also, the eagles' base appears to extend well below the peek, as can be seen on the reconstruction by Brian Stobbs (Armamentarium) and on the original.

Thanks

Paolo

I got the impression he did it because it was on the original :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
all nice and well but why do they keep missing the round discs on the cheek-pieces.....

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/images/sto ... talD-1.jpg

M.VIB.M.

ps i will post some of the pictures of the best reconstruction of this helmet i have seen so far, made by Nigel Cluff several years ago. The helmet is the private property of one of my fellow Gemina members...

of all the helmets i have seen his helmets have always been the best..... sadly he is either no longer among us or has vanished into the blue, i for one do not know if he is still around...
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
HELMET PICS... (btw he also did not do the discs)

[Image: IMAGE_00407.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_00408.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_00409.jpg]

(you can see the back bronze plate is the correct ONE PIECE!! style)

H.J.Vrielink.
[Image: IMAGE_00411.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_00412.jpg]

now why deepeeka chose fringy wings, and a two-piece backplate i do not know)

ps: sharpening the images you can do yourself........ LOL

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:all nice and well but why do they keep missing the round discs on the cheek-pieces.....

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/images/sto ... talD-1.jpg

IIRC, that cheek piece was a single found part in the museum that wasn't with the helmet originally.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ah okay! i didnt know that! lol...

By the way, i heard that a lot of these italic D type helmets with the elaborate decorations are supposed to have been used by a single unit..... higher up the ladder....

now wether or not that is true i do not know..

is there anyone who can shed some light on this?

btw if id buy one of the deepeeka D-s one day i will strip it bare and redecorate it myself without rivets!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
The new one is without the rivets.... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,206 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Italic E helmet Gaius Colletti 11 2,704 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Cheap Italic G (Hebron) Helmet? Gaius Colletti 8 3,005 09-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti