Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Entertainig the public
The film industry and theather are very good in creating illusions.
Sometimes they make it so real that people actualy belief what is being shown is the truth.
Myth and hero creation is a part of humans.
As an reeanactor/living history person i also try to educate people who aske my what i'm protraying.
If i didn't like that part, i could go to a costum rental and rent a roman or other era kit.
I like the research and putting that information back in my kit and presentation.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
What's a Delta Force?
No such thing here. So even that comparison goes lame if you are a European watching an American program. Not in tune with the audience and they miss the point.

On dumbing down: My son at the age of 4 asked me where the sun went at night. So I got out a flashlight, an orange, a pin with a big head which I stuck in the orange and told him in simple words why he couldn't see the sun at night. Never took more than a minute. He hopped off happy. My mother, visiting at the time, was horrified and asked me why I didn't just say that the sun was sleeping in the ocean, as that was much simpler for him to understand than a scientific explanation.
I am absolutly sure both answers would have satisfied my son at his age, but then again, if you are gona tell a story, may as well tell it right!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I'm sure I have seen copies of Delta force at Schipol Robert....in Dutch! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The Batavi were the delta force of the Roman world!! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hear, hear- and in one recent book they were compared to the role that the Gurkhas play (and played) in the British army as well!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Are modern special forces not modelled after the velites and exploratores.
But this is in my opinion another topic
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
My experiences as a reenactor and a spectator;

You'll never educate everyone! but you can spark an interest, once sparked those who are motivated will usually come and talk to you face to face and find out more.

Dry monologues are boring. Information can be conveyed in more entertaining ways with a bit of forethought. Entartainment in a Roman context can be VERY entertaining. Give the public an accurate and entertaining show IN CONTEXT, and tryto immerse them in the culture.

Don't under estimate the intelligence of the public. We don't need to state the obvious. A picture (or in this case actions) are worth a thousand words (from a commentator).

Don't rest on your laurels, keep refining your display and improving wherever you can.
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Teaching the public via dramatizations is a very ancient tradition. And thank the Gods it can be very entertaining and a very effective method.

It is very rewarding to teach someome something when they don't realize that they are being educated! Too many people duck and run when knowledge is coming right at them. Visions of uncomfortable seats and tiny attached desks, the smell of old chalk dust and the broad looming backside of a nun, a thick pointer stick in one hand, a stick of squeaking chalk in the other... scribing in perfect longhand script the names of long dead kings and their famous battles, all the while talking about things that have nothing to do with anything that you can relate to.... and it will all be on a test, a test.... "... an essay test...." ... the sweat is beading on your brow... "... with an oral presentation.." ... the pencil in your fingers snaps.. "..and a full colour map of 13th C France made of tinfoil and macaroni noodles.." .. you try to swallow but your mouth is dry, you begin to choke.."..due tomorrow.." ... and then you come back to real time, the voice of some Roman Knight looking reenactor (in light reactive glasses and gold painted leather bracers) droning on and on about about this Roman general and that Roman Imperator and the Battle of Zagmanauseus-blahblahblah and how that's why we have flush toilets....

Someone's knocking on your forehead. Take a timid look out of the peep hole.. OH NO! It's KNOWLEDGE!!! Ahhh! The dark visages of facts and dates and names of kings and emperors and of times long past all on a multiple choice test... oh the horror of it all!

But, cloak knowledge with sparklies and excitement, with titilation and a sense of danger, sprinkled with music and scantily clad dancing girls (or ruggedly handsome rogues) and you've got their rapt attention...

"Hibernicus, Gaius Hibernicus... Care to see my gladius?"

That's why things like gladiator shows and scripted presentations work. They're lots of fun!

But..... I believe that the trick is making knowledge entertaining without the "show". Part of that is taking a snippet of current knowledge and a snippet of history and showing them how little it has changed. Sort of like warping time and space. .. like showing them that they already know something about history, but they just didn't realize it.

Sneaking up on them with knowledge. Sometimes smacking them up the side of the head with it. Making it real. Now that's entertaining!

One of my favorite "Making it Real" presentation is the sponge on a stick in the bucket of vinegar at the crucifiction of Iesu story. The insult's not the vinegar folks! Watching the audience get it! Seeing their faces light up.

Or when talking to a group (especially of men).... "This is how a scutum was held and this is how a gladius was held. Where's the tip of my sword? Where's it pointing if you were to attack me?" and they answer: thigh, stomach and then some bolder young man says: balls... and I reply: "Yup, we don't know what the Romans called it, if they called it anything, but we call it it guts and nuts..." And then they get it.. the viciousness of close order combat. "Is my opponent dead right away?" No. "And that's a good thing because a bleeding dying dead guy on the ground in front of my shield doesn't want to be stepped on by his buddy trying to get at me." And they get it even more. ".. and then I stab his buddy.."
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Quote:I believe that the trick is making knowledge entertaining without the "show". Part of that is taking a snippet of current knowledge and a snippet of history and showing them how little it has changed. Sort of like warping time and space. .. like showing them that they already know something about history, but they just didn't realize it.

Sneaking up on them with knowledge. Sometimes smacking them up the side of the head with it. Making it real. Now that's entertaining!

Indeed! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I don't believe in Greece there is any experiance with displays and productive interaction with any audience, but I am indeed interested of bringing this amazing thing here too!
However, from the people I've talked to about re-enacting, I've gathered they need to know first what is the point of re-enacting to a non history freak (like me) and then go on with the rest interesting information. This I believe is because here there is this pregudice with antiquity and the ancient religion, fearing that we re-enactors aim just to bring the old religion back. I know it's a shame for my country,but I'm afraid it's true.
Now,what's the answer to the question "and what's the point of re-enacting?".
I know from myself that it's pure fun and I love history and accuracy without knowing why. But this is not enough for the average guy. I don't think that explaining re-enacting is a hobby just like fishing or hunting is enough for the audience. Perhaps an interesting way to make others love history,or gain some knowlege? But agin this is not something that you should tell the audience,even if true.
Do people ask this question in your shows? And what's the answer?
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Re-eanacting:
Recreating a specific known part from the past.
Like a battle, as an example Alexander last battle in india, or the batle for Troja.
I personaly prefer the term Living History.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
That's another topic, too. In some areas, these two overlap each other. Nobody seems sure how to categorize or label our hobby exactly.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
For us as a family It started as an hobby, but slowly became a way of life.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote:For us as a family It started as an hobby, but slowly became a way of life.

For me it started as a little job during holidays in 2000. First it became a hobby, and what it is now, I don't know, but most probably a way of life indeed. I most like I've more books on ancient history than most history students I know have in general, and much more than I've on my own subject of study. Smile
ALA I BATAVORUM