Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arms and Armor of Gallia Cisalpina
I'm looking for some sources (preferably online and free) on the arms and armor of the Cisalpine Gauls. Basically, I'm trying to find out what they would use to slaughter Romans when the mood took them.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Google ""Monte Bibele" as there were a number of Gaulish burial grounds excavated. Mostly in Italian ... there are a couple of books on the finds.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Peter Connolly's "Hannibal and the Enemies of Rome" Macdonald Educational ltd 1978 ISBN 0 356 05905 7 has good details of Cisalpine arms and armour finds, and Celtic/Gallic equipment generally. This work was incorporated into his later, larger volume; "Greece and Rome at War" Macdonald Phoebus 1981 ISBN 0 356 06798 X........
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I just bought a book with some amazing pictures of Celtic finds from throughout europe, the name of which escapes me as I am not at home at the moment.
I'll post it when I get back.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel