Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Names of Roman officers
in Britain about 408-410 AD.<br>
<br>
Is there a chance to find any? <p></p><i></i>
IN Britain? Nope, not from contemporary evidence.<br>
But outside Britain, I'd venture Gerontius, the commander who betrayed Constantine III, and who might have been British.<br>
But any 'good' Roman name will do, or at least any late Roman one, I'd say. Why not Valerius?<br>
<br>
But why not buy (for a mere £ 210/$ 285.00) a good book with all the names you need?<br>
Martindale, J.R.: Prosopography of the Later Roman Empire: Volume II: AD 395-527, 1355p, (Cambridge UP 1980)<br>
ISBN 0521201594.<br>
<br>
I mean, 1355 pages of names! I've read it (I don't own it, sadly ) and it is worth the price.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=vortigernstudies>Vortigern Studies</A> at: 10/7/04 10:53 pm<br></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks.<br>
<br>
If I ever marry that rich Scot I'm looking out for, I'll buy that book. <p></p><i></i>
How about a 'local' university library? <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Already checked that, they don't have it. Well, it's a German university, and one of the best actually, but they can't have everything. After all, the DO have several good books about the time I want to research. <p></p><i></i>
The british usurpers are candidates for officers:<br>
<br>
Marcus 406<br>
Gratianus 407<br>
Constantinus III. 407: said to be a regular soldier<br>
Constans: Constantinus' son, said to have commanded forces in Gallia<br>
<br>
some of Constantines officers were probably exported british comrades:<br>
Gerontius: Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Constantine now appointed Ediovinchus, a Frank, and Gerontius, a Briton, as his new generals"<hr> Zosimus<br>
Justinianus, Nevigastes: Quote:</em></strong><hr>"He having entrusted to Justinian and Nevigastes the command of the Celtic legions, crossed over from Britain."<hr> Zos.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Edobinchus seems too to be an officer in Britain:<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Constantine then conferred the command, vacant by the death of Justinian and Nevigastes, on Edobinchus, a Frank by extraction, but a native of Britain, and on Gerontius, a Briton.<hr><br>
All to be found in Zosimus book 6. [url=http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/zosimus06_book6.htm" target="top]www.tertullian.org/fathers/zosimus06_book6.htm[/url] <p></p><i></i>
Well, I'd have some doubts if Justinian, Edobinchus and Nevigastes were officers <em><strong>in</strong></em> Britain. It's possible of course, but they could also have been officers from the units that joined forces with Constantine when he ghad crossed to Gaul.<br>
The latter two are clearly Germanic names (but that would not exclude them from being Roman officers in Britain, I suppose).<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:</em></strong><hr>"He having entrusted to Justinian and Nevigastes the command of the Celtic legions, crossed over from Britain."<hr><br>
<br>
That reads as if Nevigastes remained behind in Britain, probably to gather a few more troops and to give the remaining Roman landholders the impression that they were not left defenseless.<br>
<br>
Thanks for the info. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gabrielecampbell>gabriele campbell</A> at: 10/9/04 10:55 pm<br></i>
Robert,<br>
you're right that two of them got germanic names. At least some officers in Britain around 410 should have had Germanic ones - considering the hundreds of years of tradition to post germanic troops and officers in Britain. I dont want to proof that from the beginning - but looking to the 4th century, there come to my mind<br>
Crocus - Alaman king aiding Constantine in York 306<br>
Fraomar - king of the Bucinobantes, afterwards tribune in Britain under Valentinian<br>
Nectaridus? - count of the coastal region in late 60s<br>
Fullofaudes - dux in late 60s<br>
<br>
<br>
Besides, I want to gratulate for your Vortigern site. Great stuff!<br>
<p></p><i></i>
On names ... I'm trying to settle on a suitable late 4thC name for myself. Any advice on where to look and what to look for would be appreciated. I am a lowly pedes in the Legio Praesidiensis, based in the north of Britain. Doubtless my father was a soldier in the unit (as was the law - son following father?).<br>
<br>
I know that 'early' Roman names were being pushed out by Germanic and Celtic names. And that a good many Germanic soldiers were recruited into the legions.<br>
<br>
Was my father/grandfather Germanic? British? What is most likely?<br>
<br>
Any help appreciated ...<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Wot's the Legio <em>Praesidiensis</em>?<br>
Don't seem to know it. Or.. is it something like the fectienses seniores?<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
The Praesidiensis was (I believe a limitani, that transfered to the Gallic field army as a pseudocomiatenis). Its on this list of Gallic units:<br>
www.ne.jp/asahi/luke/ueda...iarum.html<br>
<br>
And the shield design is there too, its our unit design:<br>
www.comitatus.net/<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Constantine then conferred the command, vacant by the death of Justinian and Nevigastes, on Edobinchus, a Frank by extraction, but a native of Britain, and on Gerontius, a Briton.<hr><br>
<br>
Well, other sources have it Gerontius was a general from the first moment Constantine went to Gaul.<br>
<br>
I can manage to reconcile the sources with my story: I have Nevigastes stay behind (I need him for an inspection of part of the Hadriane Wall), and join Constantine later, in time to die at the battle against Sarus. <p></p><i></i>
Well, Britons like Gerontius and Nevigastes might not follow the Roman praenomen/nomen/cognomen structure, but they needed at least a praenomen (like Flavius Stilicho) - any chance to find those? <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD) Spurius Papirius Cursor 91 29,103 08-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Military dressing of roman high-rank officers eugene 2 1,659 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Quintius Clavus
  Roman Names and Auxillary Names Expanded? arklore70 10 3,104 02-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Last Post: arklore70