Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pugio sheath
I am working on a sheath for my current pugio project, based upon this
[Image: spanish.jpg]

I originally thought that the two bars going across to attach to the side frame were solid pieces. Looking at some images they seem to be seperate pieces held in place by the ring attachments. Is this so?

Also, most images I can find the sheaths for this style only have 2 rings where I thought they had four to be tied onto the belt. Are the ones with 2 only so because they are missing 2?
On these early Spanish daggers with the circular pommel expansion, yes the plates are separate and held in place by the suspension loops. We see the same method of construction later on on the Roman examples from Titelberg and Exeter.

The Titelberg sheath was definately missing two suspension loops. It originally had four, (Most modern reconstructions have only the two where they survived)
Adrian I am not so sure that I would go along with the thoughts that two rings are missing from the Titelbreg dagger, for looking at the line drawings put forward by L. Vanden Berghe and M. Simkins might even suggest that it was never meant to have four though indeed Simkins gives it four in his reconstruction.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Correct sheath/scabbard for this Pugio C. Gadda 9 3,099 10-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Last Post: C. Gadda
  Auerberg sheath and pugio LVCIVS VVLPES 27 6,672 07-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Lucius Petilius Remo
  Pugio sheath plate type A LVCIVS VVLPES 26 5,936 02-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius