Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you read Dutch...
Newspaper De Pers (The Press, pretentions anyone?) published an interview with Jona and me about the Teutoburg forest. It's online at http://www.depers.nl/wetenschap/339425/ ... oorte.html
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
A very nice interview. I muchly enjoyed the last section. I also think that the people who are saying teaching the newest knowledge of history back this statement up with the costs involved to make that possible. Indeed teaching museums public according to the latest research is a very expensive thing to do.
ALA I BATAVORUM
It's always some kind of funny shock to see yourself in print. I was there during the interview (duh) and the journalist sent us the text for a quick fact check. So I can not complain. But when when I see my own words in print, and all the perhapses and maybes are left out, I always think "Yes, that's what I think is true, but it's quite strong-worded".
Quote:Indeed ... according to the latest research is a very expensive thing to do.
The funny thing is that those German expositions on the Battle in the Teutoburg Forest are really state-of-the-art, and that the message of the three catalogs (which can be summarized as "it was a big clash, but nothing changed really, and it certainly wasn't the birth of Germany") is contradicted by the fact that those expositions have been organized at all.

I do not know what to think of that. On the one hand, any occasion that allows itself to be used for a really great exposition is fine; but you can count on it that people will get the wrong message - "Germany was created in September 9", for example, even though it is flatly contradicted by the catalogs.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
And you managed to mention your latest Claudius theory, Jona -- well done! Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Dat vind ik, eerlijk gezegd, lulkoek.

:lol: :lol:
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
That was interesting (No I can't read dutch, I have the google translator) So I learned about germany, Arminius, and how to swear in dutch
Ben.
Well, only a little swearing. 'lulkoek' (I think Lull-kook is a reasonable pronuncation) is a wonderful way of saying that something is B***S***!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you can read Dutch Jona Lendering 0 805 04-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering