Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New sword and knife
It's some time since I showed some of my works. Recently finally finished the 'thekenbeschalge' after having the parts on my desk for a couple of years.

Knifeblade by Robert Wimmers, scabbard and handle done myself. (I know there are many mistakes in this reproduction, but I had the scabbard totally done when I noticed the right way.

[Image: thekenbeschlage.jpg]

Fulham pattern gladius and scabbard from the River Waal at Millingen aan de Rijn, The Netherlands, now in the RMO, Leiden. Blade made by stock removal, handle parts ordered some years ago through Christian Koepfer. Scabbard all my own work, with some guidance of Paul Karremans.

[Image: millingenGladius1.jpg]

[Image: millingenGladius2.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
That scabbard is outstanding Jurjen. Good job on the brasswork. What is in between it...it that leather or metal?

Legion: TBD
Quote:That scabbard is outstanding Jurjen. Good job on the brasswork. What is in between it...it that leather or metal?

Scabbard has a wooden core, covered in red-dyed leather. On the front a tinned brass plate is underneath the brasswork. As you can also see the piece was polished too much on two spots, where the brass has become visible under the tin layer. Have to reapply some tin.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Can we see the knife blade please?
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
Quote:Can we see the knife blade please?
Phil

Of course you can.

[Image: CIMG0216.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Nice work Jurjen.
Scott Goring
I like that Thekenbeschlag! (Btw. is there an English term for it?)
------------
[Image: regnumhesperium.png]
Quote:I like that Thekenbeschlag! (Btw. is there an English term for it?)

Not that I know about...
ALA I BATAVORUM
That scabbard looks very much like the first sword I ever wore in the Gemina Project Smile

great work !

Also like the knife !!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I remember it well Marcus, as I made it. It was, shall we say, 'lost from sight' some five years ago and will probably reappear somewhere in a slightly altered form I'm sure.
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Hi Jurjen,
well done! I Like the knife with the Thekenbeschlag :wink:
CIAO from Italy

Marco
I would like to point out there is no evidence for a staghorn handle. Jurjen liked the handlematerial I supplied him raw so much he used it as is. The blade is mild steel, as would be normal in that age, the full tang passes all the way through the handle and has a butcap of pretty thin bronze Jurjen reconstructed. I just did the blade, all the other work was done by Jurjen and it looks fine.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I'm sure you'll be ok using horn as a handle...it would take one finicky stitch counter to make a comment about it.

Legion: TBD
Horn is less of a "problem" then antler, there is good evidence for horn and bone, but little for antler. Oh well, I do worry too much about getting things right, I suppose. Not out of fear of stitchcounters, but just as a way I like to make things. In this case, with an endcap present, antler seemed a good choice. But without an endcap in evidence, I would never use it and would prefer horn. That also makes great knives, just finished a nice one.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sword and knife making Marcus Mummius 7 2,527 01-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius