Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP equipment - Centurions VITIS part ??
Fellow brothers!

I am in need of your help!

Recently, I got a question about a certain find which is thought to be a BUTT from CENTURION's VITIS. I have not been able to find anything similar to confirm this so far and therefore, if anyone has any experience or reference, I'd be glad if you could help me out.

If it is something else, please do tell Smile

Here is some info about the object:

1) It's copper alloy
2) Dimensions - 4 cm length; 1 cm diameter
3) It was found on a legionary fort site

[attachment=11509]P8040127copy.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11510]P8040128copy.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11511]P8040130copy.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

" Finally, upon being asked by Tiberius why his people had taken it into their heads to revolt and to war against the Romans so long, he replied: "You Romans are to blame for this; for you send as guardians of your flocks, not dogs or shepherds, but wolves." - Cassius Dio, LVI, 16, 3
The only thing that comes to mind it may be from the bottom end of a pilum but nothing to do with a vitus I would think.
Brian Stobbs
It has crossed my mind also, but does the diameter of 1 cm fit with the width of the pilum shaft?
" Finally, upon being asked by Tiberius why his people had taken it into their heads to revolt and to war against the Romans so long, he replied: "You Romans are to blame for this; for you send as guardians of your flocks, not dogs or shepherds, but wolves." - Cassius Dio, LVI, 16, 3
That is a valid point on its size but I would not think anything to do with a vitus for why would one need such a thing.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:It has crossed my mind also, but does the diameter of 1 cm fit with the width of the pilum shaft?

Maybe a iacula is more appropriate for that diameter. Interestingly, quite a bunch of similar sized finds (also many with 'rounded off points') have been reported from the Netherlands (see 'Gered uit de grond' by Peter Bakker en Jan Willem Bron (red.)
ALA I BATAVORUM
@PhilusEstilius I can not find the reference right now (maybe Bishop&Coulston or D'Amato...), but I am positive there is a mentioning of the possibility of vitis having a butt at the ending.

@jvrjenivs That is very interesting, because the find comes from the assumed campus of the fort.

Thanks for the answers so far!