Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bringing JRMES back to life
I have voted for the hybrid copy based on the increased chances of the longterm survival of this publication. Personally, I prefer a hard copy put realize that due to the cost and space limitations of many, a greater number will be distributed by the hybrid model than any of the other two models. I like the idea of a subscription, if you are still considering this route would you entertain the idea of multi-year options? Looking forward to return of JRMES, in which ever form it ends up taking.

Best regards,

Martin
It seems from the responses that everybody is going to be happy if JRMES comes back and offers both a good-quality dead-tree journal and and online access. For those who don't want piles of cellulose cluttering up their shelves, some sort of reduced level subscription might be the way forward, although anything that requires a paywall would obviously be vulnerable to any digital anarchist signing up for one year and uploading the whole lot to the big offshore fileservers. At the same time I have no wish to go down any sort of DRM route as I want as many people as possible to see JRMES (but at the same time we need money to finance the whole operation).

Anyway, when it comes back, it will probably be accompanied by the return of ARMA (but this time as a PDF-only newsletter) and the revival of ARMAMENTARIVM (which has now been killed off by Tyne & Wear Museums – google for it and you'll find nothing but dead links, but I have the whole thing on disk ;-) ) after the demise of the Museum of Antiquities at Newcastle. This happened years after I was last able to add anything to it. That would at the very least bring a return of the military equipment bibliography (although the precise form may have to be decided by mud-wrestling, as various people favour strange complex systems I don't have the time, patience, or inclination to code for). It may also see something of the old encyclopaedic approach, although that might equally be covered by another little project I've got up my sleeve... but that can wait until another day.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Just voted fro hybrid. In my opinion, pdf edition is indeed versatile but the paper is the paper, or at least for "old grey hair" as I'm Sad
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Have to go with Hybrid on this one for the same reasons everyone else has already stated.
It\'s always best to keep a Spaniard in your closet, just in case.
The probable return of JRMES is REALLY great news! I have voted for hybrid because I think it is the best compromise Today, it is a common solution, also the Spanish Gladius is a hybrid if I am not wrong.
--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Dare I ask if this is ever likely to happen?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Would be rather splendid.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I voted for Digital this would work fine for me... though I do like OL and PDF combinations.....

Is "Send Owl" of any use its what Sidestone uses for their Digital library....

https://www.sendowl.com/

Microfiche anyone :grin:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Is there a way to make the vote result also visible to those who do not cast a vote? I have no informed opinion on the publication mode, but I would like to see the results without distorting them.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:Dare I ask if this is ever likely to happen?

I have no idea, but with the Facebook RAT group now comprising over two thousand people, it could be used for promotional purposes for outstanding publications in our field - if the community agree on this.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:Dare I ask if this is ever likely to happen?
Have your money ready on January 1st 2015.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Hooray!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
And there was much rejoicing.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
[Image: ccdb9c1bdc8c745ae389fd40950de56c0da8fd35...ac9207.jpg]