Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favorite period of Roman history ?
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Avete,<br>
<br>
I'm curious as to what period we enjoy the most with regard to Roman history.<br>
<br>
My selection of the five periods is of course subjective but not too unreasonable I hope.<br>
<br>
Personally, I chose the Late Republic because I like to read the lives of Marius, Sulla, Pompey, Cicero, Caesar, Octavian, etc... and because it's the transitional period from Republican to Imperial Rome.</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm2.processVote?topicID=953.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Early Republic (Independence to Punic Wars)</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Late Republic (The Grachii to the Battle of Actium)</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="3"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Early Imperial (Augustus to Commodus)</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="4"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Late Imperial (Pertinax to Romulus Augustulus)</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="5"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Byzantine (476 A.D. to 1453 A.D.)</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form><a HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm2.showMessage?topicID=953.topic&pollResults=on><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=1>Show results</FONT></A> <p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Have you left the Middle republic out (264-131 BC)?<br>
The limit of the early empire is usually set at the start of Diocletian's reign (284 AD). <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Have you left the Middle republic out (264-131 BC)?<hr><br>
<br>
Hi Jasper,<br>
<br>
No I haven't left out the Middle Republic (264-131 BC), I lumped it with "Early Republic". Sorry for the imprecise divisions I set up. You'll notice there's no "middle" for any period, just "early" and "late". It's a bit difficult to draw the lines that way, but I had limited space.<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>The limit of the early empire is usually set at the start of Diocletian's reign (284 AD)<hr><br>
<br>
Yes, again, limited space. I just didn't know what to call the period between Marcus Aurelius' reign and Diocletian's. I figured since Marcus' reign was the last during the <em>Pax Romana</em>, that'd be a good place to begin the Later Empire.<br>
<br>
-Theo<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jaime
i need one of those all of the above options <p></p><i></i>
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
As much as I love reading Cicero and Caesar I have to with the early republic. I love the myths surrounding Rome's founding as well as the transition from Kingdom to Republic and the war with the neightboring Sabine, Etruscan, and Volscine peoples. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
Ave.<br>
<br>
I chose the Late Republic in the poll although I do enjoy studying the Punic Wars period as well.<br>
<br>
Slainte<br>
Jeff I.<br>
F. Antili Oregensis <p></p><i></i>
"Les dieux n'étant plus, et le Christ n'étant pas encore, il y a eu, de Cicéron à Marc Aurèle, un moment unique où l'homme seul a été. "<br>
"The ancient gods being no more, and Christ not being yet, there was, between Cicero and Marcus Aurelius, a unique moment when man, alone, was."<br>
Gustave Flaubert. 1821/1880 <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Roman Lines in Movies Matt Lukes 35 6,768 10-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Last Post: IMP GALLIENVS AVG
  Favorite Roman one liners richsc 19 7,057 03-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Anonymous