Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marathon 2011
Athanasios/Arthur Porporis will be the first to book tickets for Marathon 2011. With a few of his folks from the Ancient Hoplitikon of Melbourne and the Sydney Ancients, he will be at the Marathon field on the 12th September 2011. We invite unofficially everyone who wants to meet us. This is not an official event invitation,nevertheless at least some of us will be there. I know that many groups have expressed their interest. Well, even if each group sent only some representatives,this meeting would be wonderful!
[Image: 06AthanasiosPorporiss.jpg]
I would attend the meeting if only to see this guy's gear up close :mrgreen:
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Great !

However, since we have been waiting for some info for long, and since we expected, as it was once mentionned, that the "event" could take place in August, our people have taken some measures according to these terms.
Most of our members are teachers and students and will regrettably not be able to attend.

May be we can manage to have two of our people there, but with light weapons, because with two men only we will not afford a freight for two aspides and dorata.

Khairete.
FROESSEL
Mmm,this is such a pity! However,since a long time,any contact with any authorities has been regarding a Septmber event. Likewise,this year that the greek government celebrates the 2499 ( :roll: ) years of the battle,the main activities have been done in September 2010. it is true though that August has been considered mostly for this exact reason,that more people might have been free. On the other hand,we have been optimists enough to hope that schools would attend the meeting fo educational purposes. And the tickets would be much cheaper than August...
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Greetings!

I'd like to ask when is intended to make the gathering; August or September?

From Spain, Athena Promakhos' members (at least, most of those I have talked with) would go without hesitation to the event, but knowing in advance when would be very helpful. Is there someone coordinating this?

Best regards,
David
David P. Sandoval
(Ludi Laietani - Athenea Promakhos)
Hello. No,there isn't officially someone coordinating this,but since Australian re-enactors plan to be there in September 12th,i propose that this becomes the aimed date for anyone interested.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Has anybody heard from Christian lately regarding Hoplologia's plans?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
David

I discussed this matter with Eduardo and I am still waiting for conclusions.
May be we manage to send one or two representatives from France on sept 12th to see what’s going on.
But since there is no local organisation, no local support, no guaranty to meet there more reenactors than at any other period of the year, we might go on August on our own, plan our visits and stay a bit there. Everybodyelse welcome…
If somebody stays a bit longer until September he can lead the Australians to the battlefield to show what a dead Persian looks like…

We still have an alternative : meeting at Himera or at any place in Magna Grecia since it seems much simplier.
FROESSEL
Quote:Has anybody heard from Christian lately regarding Hoplologia's plans?
Christian is a bit busy lately,but it's true that the Plataeans are less active after all the rejections of the event from the authorities. It's probable though that some of their hoplites will be at Marathon. Whatever they decide,i don't speak for them.

Nokolaos,it will be a pity if you come in August and you don't manage to meet with the rest in September. But real life issues are always most disturbing...
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Hi again,

I have been talking with Eduardo Guillén, the Head Manager of Athenea Promakhos.

The group is going to attend the gathering for deciding the issues for 2011 in january, so there we'll see when we decide to go (august or september the 12th) how many people would go and the way to carry all our stuff and people, most probably, via Ferry with a van loaded.

Would be interesting to list the exact number of groups and members who wants to go to Marathon, and the dates. May we get surprissed... Smile

Greetings,
David P. Sandoval
(Ludi Laietani - Athenea Promakhos)
We just had our planning meeting last night. We'll have some Plataians at Marathon for the September date. I don't think we'll have fewer than 4, and we really hope to have three times that. I've been keeping quiet pending having the meeting, so pardon my absence. Marathon has been on and off so many times it kind of broke our collective hearts, but we've rallied and we're back. We will need some support in Greece, and I hope Giannis will help us ship stuff.

Anyway, on to Marathon!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
You might be surprized,

I am trying to get licenses so that hopltes can enter the Archeological site.
Not easy but push push till the damned thing goes down!

Kind regards
Via whom,Stefane? Municipality,Archaeologists,police?
Giannis K. Hoplite
Hi all
Next week at the annual meeting of Athena Prómakhos, begin to discuss the organization of our assistance to Marathon.
Four years ago I had the opportunity to meet the sadly ill-fated Paul Allen and his partner Steve, who I remember were from the Hoplite Association, but I'm not sure. I lost their cards and I can not contact Steve.
I would ask if the Hoplite Association intends to go to Marathon, because I would like to have the opportunity to contact them and perhaps to see Steve again.
Eduardo Guillén
PM sent, Eduardo. Don't know Steve's e-mail though.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Ladies and Gentlemen

To get a licence to go go to the Marathon tomb site we need

1. Established date for the event
2. Number of "performing participants" (re-enactors,)
Lets assume 20. If we have 15 participant its ok BUT we cannot have 21 (NOTHING above the agreed license number!)
3. We must clearly state all the activities and get license FOR EACH ONE. Not stated activities will be prohibit it.
- Gathering
- Honor Guard
- Parading
- Battle re-eanctment
- Speeches
- Photographs
- Filming

I know its crazy but that how burocrats behave.
We mast play to their tune or they will say a flat NO!

Clarification on:
- Photographs
- Filming

They need to be for private use.
If to you plan to commercialize them you need special license (Expensive)
But here you local mass media can be of Assistance

Lets agree on dates First and foremost so I can contact the authorities.

Kind regards!