Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather belt construction
This link shows reproductions of these bellcaps with a couple viewed from the inside, also the outside view of them shows just how the countersink looks on the top of the domes. It is put in with a centre punch to create the countersink, then the hole is punched thro' with a 2mm taper drift on a domed former that has a 2mm hole in it.

http://www.northumberland-computers.com ... cap075.jpg
Brian Stobbs
Having said 2mm that is the size of rivets I normaly use when I do beltplates, the one shown on the horse bronze is of course slightely larger . It comes down to just what ever size of rivet one wishes to use, so therefore the dome size has to alter to meet the requirements. Indeed a domeing block as shown by Adrian is very good for there are many sizes on these to choose from.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Brian. Laudes added. Did you get my email?

Yeah, they are what it had in mind at your last post. I'm looking forward to trying them.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen. I got it ok have sent you a couple.
Brian Stobbs
Now we have a good method figured out for the main belt, how would one do the belt tongue? This will prove a bit of a challenge I think...

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I shall leave that to the experts of the stitched belts for I most times prefer the simple things of life such as 2 - 3mm cow hide when I do them.
Brian Stobbs
I was thinking about using more layers reinforced with a decorative stitch along the edge.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen that would be the part that hangs from the buckle, just how long do you intend to make it ?
Brian Stobbs
The tongue on my current belt is about 25 cm long, so it fit's me both with and without lorica.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I was just wondering where you mention putting in more layers might that not make it too rigid, for I'm thinking do you not put the end of the belt under the tied belt and bring it down thro' that loop you make.
Brian Stobbs
Okay, see what you mean. I meant that it's also made up of 3 layers, just like the normal belt (so 2 soft leather parts with linnen core), nicely stitched together, to reinforce and decorate the edge more.

I'm thinking of doing the same decorative stitching to the apron straps, as we can see on some sculptural evidence.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Okay, see what you mean. I meant that it's also made up of 3 layers, just like the normal belt (so 2 soft leather parts with linnen core), nicely stitched together, to reinforce and decorate the edge more.

I'm thinking of doing the same decorative stitching to the apron straps, as we can see on some sculptural evidence.

I agree using the same layering as the main belt, it's one piece after all. But would it be possible to have the same round, folded edges as the main belt? This would require carefull planning and cutting as the tongue is a lot more narrow than the main belt. Or would you not fold the leather of the tongue and just sew together the layers. A stich that goes around the edges might be a good idea to prevent the cut edges being damaged and 'unraveling'.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote: Or would you not fold the leather of the tongue and just sew together the layers. A stich that goes around the edges might be a good idea to prevent the cut edges being damaged and 'unraveling'.

That's what I wanted to say.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:
Marcus Mummius:uyxb97u9 Wrote:Or would you not fold the leather of the tongue and just sew together the layers. A stich that goes around the edges might be a good idea to prevent the cut edges being damaged and 'unraveling'.

That's what I wanted to say.

Then we think alike Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
What ounce or thickness leather would you use for this?
Travis

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cingulum Belt sewing and leather colour Zarathustra 1 460 05-17-2021, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Belt Apron Terminals - Construction Advice. Titus Marius Secundus 2 1,327 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Titus Marius Secundus
  Belt Advice on Construction Titus Marius Secundus 75 16,580 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Last Post: Crispvs