Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tombstones
Quote: And if you can't see the armguard, don't blame me, you probably aren't squinting in just the right way

The 2 lines on the left that diverge at an angle towards the bottom?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The 2 lines on the left that diverge at an angle towards the bottom?
That's the chappy. Here's Lindenschmit's drawing from AuhV of what he thought he saw on the flanking friezes. Sadly the archive.org copies of AuhV don't include all the plates (Google's automatic scanning machines seem to get confused by tissue inserts protecting plates and they can't do throwouts either).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:The 2 lines on the left that diverge at an angle towards the bottom?
Nah -- clearly the base unit of a Minuteman ICBM. Clearly. (I've checked my notes ... :wink: )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote: (I've checked my notes ... :wink: )
In Ogham, by any chance? :lol:

Mike Bishop

:lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Here's a biggie: 36 photos of P. Flavoleius Cordus of legio XIV Gemina (pedants need not bother telling me it says XIIII on the tombstone). Interesting details include a possible amentum for his ?pilum; the clearest boots of all the Rhineland tombstones (soles and lacing ridges carved, the rest presumably added in paint); the usual 'apron', belts, pre-Flavian tunic and cummberbund, as well as the mysterious box above the belt (with a hint of a suspension strap for it). The reason the pilum seems to have a strange terminal is that it, like Vonatorix's foot, was in high relief and thus had to be on a plinth.

He's lovely: enjoy him.

[Image: 6849448931_d13e6d8a41_m.jpg][Image: 6849439993_d8211f203e_m.jpg]

The entire tombstone set is here.

Mike Bishop

Phew! I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms. Two Days Without A Tombstone. (Great title for a spaghetti western?)
Putting aside the echoing Morricone music for the moment...and jumping in with both feet (as usual)...

...not an optio with his staff and tablets then?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Putting aside the echoing Morricone music for the moment...and jumping in with both feet (as usual)...
Dung, dugga dugga dugga dugga, dung DUNG!

Quote:...not an optio with his staff and tablets then?
As Eric Morecambe might say, he hasn't got tablets, he's got the scrolls! The inscription doesn't call him an optio and the shafty thing is probably a bit long for an optio's staff (or stave; take your pick). Probably don't need a throwing strap with one either.

Mike Bishop

Quote:Two Days Without A Tombstone. (Great title for a spaghetti western?)
Doc Holiday tensed in the dark and reached for his Totenmahl (with apologies to the late great Alan Coren).

Mike Bishop

Quote:Doc Holiday tensed in the dark and reached for his Totenmahl ...
Blast! Another web site to distract me from real work.
Quote:
mcbishop post=306398 Wrote:Doc Holiday tensed in the dark and reached for his Totenmahl ...
Blast! Another web site to distract me from real work.
Hope you've read this (The Good Dr Coulston put me onto it: my childhood encapsulated!).

Mike Bishop

Gentlemen

I really am beginning to worry about you two...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I really am beginning to worry about you two...
Only now?! Confusedhock:

Mike Bishop

Quote:
Vindex post=306435 Wrote:I really am beginning to worry about you two...
Only now?! Confusedhock:

Mike Bishop

Only now will I admit it! :mrgreen:
Moi Watson