Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Nowhere Legion
I would like to mention the publication of my new Late Roman novel at Amazon kindle:

The Nowhere Legion

It is two years after Julian, the last pagan emperor of Rome, has died in the disaster of his Persian invasion and the east of Rome now is in chaos. A usurper has appeared to challenge the rule of the emperor Valens while all along the frontiers of the empire, the Persians and the Saraceni are rising up in war and revolt. For one lonely legion, marching south from Damascus to a transit camp, these events conspire to lead it out into the hostile deserts and ruins deep in the lands of the Saraceni. There, it must garrison an abandoned fort far from home; a fort riddled with betrayal and in whose shadow lies the awful legacy of a dead emperor.

Follow the exploits of the men and officers of the Quinta Macedonica Legio as it makes a final stand far from empire and succour only to discover that the sands of the past run deep and no one is quite who he appears to be . . .

The novel, while set in a researched Late Roman period, also borrows heavily from the works of Rudyard Kipling and Robert Howard - which may seem an incongruous mix but does seem to work really rather well. On a personal note, RAT as a whole over the last year or so has allowed me to research and develop my writing and I have appreciated the wealth of knowledge and support from the community here!

If anyone here would like a free copy in PDF form, I can email one over - all I ask is an honest review at Amazon!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Hi Francis,

I think I need to get a Kindle for pc solution!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Or your mobile smart phone? I am reading 'Amida' - a wonderful Late Roman novel on my phone while travelling to work. It works - just - as a reading experience!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Don't have that either. :-D
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I'd love to give it a read. It is my favorite period, although too bad Julian had to die to start your story Smile.

PM sent. I may also need to join the 21st century and buy a Kindle.....
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Thanks Markus,

Copy sent and I look forward to your thoughts on it! I hope you enjoy reading it - and I know what you mean about the death of Julian.

But perhaps his legacy lives on?!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Francis, is it possible to read it with an iPad? If so, I would like to have one please!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Hi Jyrki

Do you have kindle for the ipad? If not, I can convert it into the ipad propriety code (I think) using Calibre ebook software. Let me know, one way or the other!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Quote:Hi Jyrki

Do you have kindle for the ipad? If not, I can convert it into the ipad propriety code (I think) using Calibre ebook software. Let me know, one way or the other!

Hi Francis! I don't have kindle for my iPad, I am a complete newbie with these ebooks :oops: ....
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
OK I have converted it into epub format which I believe is the one needed for an ipad to read it (but don't quote me on that!). If you would like to PM me you email address, I can forward it to you!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Starting to read. Thanks mate!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Starting to read. Thanks mate!

Me too, thanks Big Grin !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Look forward to your thoughts on it!

On a side note: I downloaded the kindle version onto my 'smart' phone kindle and began re-reading it a few days ago. I was horrified to see how many spelling and grammar errors are still in the novel. It seems that proof-reading the work (twice) on the original word doc has led me to entertain a certain level of 'word-blindness'. I will be uploading a revised 're-proof-read' version to Amazon tomorrow. So apologies for the errors! I thought I had combed them all out!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I am currently reading Nowhere Legion, and its very evocative of time and place!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
I've done about 60 pages now. I can almost feel the heat of the desert sands. And the feeling of imminent doom!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans