Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: what roman movie should you like to see made?
8)

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Yes, but I think that Manfredi's possible movie would be better recreated than KING ARTHUR, wich was awfully researched, well maybe it was properly researched but at the end money talked and turned into 'that' 7 sarmatian-samurai against the horde of heavy-metal-fur-saxons...
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Hi,

That would be this project?
Colin Firth and Sir Ben Kingsley will star in "The Last Legion" for Dino De Laurentiis Co., Quinta Communications and Zephyr Films. Doug Lefler will make his feature directorial debut.

The film is set during the fall of the Roman Empire when its last emperor, 12-year-old Romulus Augustus, ruled for one day before being imprisoned on the island of Capri. With the help of teacher Abrosinus (Firth) and legionnaire Aurelius (Kingsley), Augustus escapes to make one last stand for Rome.

I got this fromanother site:

http://www.movieandtvnews.com/2005/05/l ... erry.shtml

Another Last Emperor
The Last Emperor was the story of the final ruler of China, and was a great tale of change and growth. Now the last ruler of the Roman Empire will be chronicled in "The Last Legion." Colin Firth & Ben Kingsley are in the cast of this Dino De Laurentiis presentation. Doug Lefler is to direct, with principal photography beginning August 8th, 2005 in Tunisia and Slovakia. The story, mixing fact and legend tells of 12-year-old Romulus Augustus, who ruled for only a day before losing all that he loved: his family, his home and an empire. Imprisoned then on the island-fortress of Capri, he is aided by the strategies of his teacher Abrosinus (Kingsley) and the skills of his legionnaire Aurelius (Firth), to escape. Romulus then travels to Britannia searching for the fabled Dragon Legion. Fighting alongside his friends he makes his last stand for Rome, and becomes the man and the king who sparked the legend of Arthur. Tarak Ben Amma , Chris Curlin ,
Phil Robertson and Martha De Laurentiis will produce.

I haven't read Manfredi

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Yes, that same one!
Read the book if you have the opportunity, at the end it makes an interesting connection... CAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR ENSIS CALIBVRNVS.
Ivan Perelló
8)

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:I personaly not found nothinh Glorious in Julian "The Apostate" life

I agree with everything you said about Julian, Romus. In addition, he was a third-rate general like Crassus in the 1st century BC. Both men were good at defeating barbarians/slaves but inept when facing Parthians/Perisans.

Quote:I hear that Mel Gibson will make a Epic of Alexander the Great, and him probably will play as King Pilip II of Makedonia

Wow :!: Is this just a rumor ? I thought his plate was full with Boudicca and the Macabees...
Jaime
8)

Quote:I dint like Oliver Stone movie at all

As a movie I thought it was terrible. I did like the Battle of Gaugemela (spelling ?) though 8) .

Quote:Maybe Mel have better chance to make a better Alex movie?

I think he could make a better film with a fraction of the budget Oliver Stone had with his movie.

I hear that a film is currently being made on Constantine the Great and that filming is taking place now in Bulgaria. The producer is an American -Avi Lerner. I don't know anything else about it Sad ...
Jaime
8)

Quote:for a movie about Caesar:
Caesar - Ralph Fiennes
Pompeius - Harvey Keitel
Crassus - Ian McDiarmid
Vercingetorix - Ewan McGregor
Ariovist - William Fichtner
Cleopatra - Penelope Cruz

Hmmmm now were getting somewhere not bad group alesia would make excellent battle for end of movie. and this would be the gallic wars alot of good stuff.
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Theodosius: Who do you think was the more succesful emperor-commander in fighting the Persians?
Ivan Perelló
FAVENTIANVS,

Quote:Who do you think was the more succesful emperor-commander in fighting the Persians?

That's a good question. Off the top of my head, I would have to say that probably Galerius was the most successful against the Persians in the 3rd century.

Hypothetically, I think maybe Constantine could've done very well against them since he probably participated in those same campaigns when he was held hostage by Diocletian.

Here is how I rank generals : If he can beat a tribal force, an eastern force (greek/parthian/persian), and a Roman force (in a civil war) then I rank him to be first-rate. Men like Sulla, Pompey, and Caesar all achieved this.

If he can only beat a motley tribal (barbarian) force, then I rank him to be mediocre (which was the most common type in the Republic :wink: ).
Jaime
Nerva - Leonard Nemoy
Traianus - Harrison Ford
Hadrianus - Jean-Hugues Anglade
Antinous - Elijah Wood
Marcus Aurelius - Ian McKellen
Commodus - Giuseppe Sanfelice
Elagabalus - Aaron Carter
Maximinus Thrax - Peter Stormare
--- Marcus F. ---
Salve Theodosius,
Well, I've never said that Iulianus apostate was a model of glory, just said that his life could have been interesting for a movie... don' t you think? Although, I think it would have taken guts from him to turn back philosophic-pagan when christianity was getting so powerfull...
Ivan Perelló
FAVENTIANVS,

Quote:Well, I've never said that Iulianus apostate was a model of glory, just said that his life could have been interesting for a movie... don' t you think?

I think any part of Roman history is interesting, but Julian as a subject for a movie wouldn't be a good idea, IMHO. As you say, he's no model of glory. Well, what does that leave then ? He lived and ended in disgrace. What can the viewer take away from a movie like that ? Without popular appeal (or a moral), a movie like that would lose money....

Quote:I think it would have taken guts from him to turn back philosophic-pagan when christianity was getting so powerfull...

Leading a counter-revolution usually is gutsy, but I think in this case Julian was just foolish and counter-productive. He alienated the people of Antioch just before he marched off to Persia. Not a very smart move leaving a hostile populace in your rear. :roll:

I think Constantine was "gutsier" (I think I invented a word here :lol: ) since he made the most persecuted religion in Roman history legal and favored it above the traditional state religion(s).
Jaime