Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New recruits
Quote:I have loved History since the age of 8 and still do but still consider myself a student. Look forward to a great learning experience here
Lifelong learning... that's what it's all about. I pity the person who ever thinks they have learned all there is too know. Your expectation about learning much here at RAT will certainly be realized. Welcome.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:I'm working on an Athena re-enactment.
Replete with supernatural powers? While we at RAT favor Rome, you'll find many lovers of Greece as well.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:how'd you become interested in Rome? Dont know really always had an interest in the world before things became lets say chaotic as they are today and such....
Yes, there is an unfortunate amount of chaos and animosity in the world today... but I daresay that people felt the same way during Rome's civil wars... or when their "barbarian" realm was being "annexed" into the Empire.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:A few years ago I received a copy of Livy The Early History Of Rome…..I couldn’t put it down. This prompted me to take a classics class at OSU where I was exposed to the literal works of Virgil, Seneca, Terence, and Sallust.
Nothing is quite like reading the ancient authors themselves... unfiltered by contemporary writers or film makers. Glad to have you with us.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:I am currently trying to work my way through college with a focus on Literature.
I hope you'll be sure to include the Classics in your course of studies. Welcome to the RAT community.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
hello everyone. I attended the Pompeii event in Mobile, Alabama roughly two weeks ago. I had a great time and look forward to the next event! Also, I am glad to be here and hope to learn a lot and make many friends.
Welcome to RAT Wade!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi,Wade.
Welcome to RAT. I'm glad you decided to come onboard.
I enjoyed meeting and working with you at Mobile.I hope you can
make it to our next event.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Greetings all,

I'm an advanced PhD student in Classical Archaeology at Brown University. I'm currently working on my dissertation, which will, fortune willing, be an interesting and innovative piece of work concerning the burial practices of the Roman military during the empire. I would love nothing more than to hear from people who think they have insight into that matter.

Everything archaeologically and Roman militarily worthwhile that there is to know about me can be found here:
http://proteus.brown.edu/anderson/1087

mille grazie,
lisa
L. M. Anderson

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute">www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute
Hi Lisa,
Welcome to RAT! Sounds like an interesting subject. Did you see our tombstone database on the main site?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:I am currently based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. I have been obsessed with the Romans (according to my wife!) for the last 15 or so years... The aim is to be able to post a picture of my impression of a Roman Legionary in the desert here!
And a worthy goal that is! I think it would be particularly intriguing to represent a legionary serving on the desert frontier.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:As a Celt I am an enemy of the Romans (but only during re-enactment of the fights, because later it is often so that we party together and we have a whale of a time)
Enemies... initially yes... but once you're "civilized" and granted citizenship, you could actually make a fine Roman yourself! Smile
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:I’m from Virginia, U.S. and became interested in Rome through studying Latin... I’m majoring in Antiquity, and intend to get my Doctorate in Military History with an emphasis on the Late Republic/Early Empire.
I suppose in one sense, all of us here are "students," so welcome to the club. You will enjoy your time here, and we look forward to your own contributions.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Hi everyone, Im Mikael Hamrelius from Malmoe/Sweden. Done some re-ena ctment over the last ten years in different medieval groups. I was amazed to see that roman re-enactment has grown so rapidly since i was looking for it some years ago. Back then, the only group I could find was some weird elderly people that seemed to be more intrested in orgies and the roman sex-life and believed that romans ate live mice as dessert. (Yes, they were from US and had a firm belief that Sweden was actually a place in Oklahoma)
I decided not to contact them and went ahead with civilised Landsknecht stuff instead.
At the moment I am mostly curious about the whole roman re-enactment thing and are looking for information about roman ways and history.

Feel free to write to me if you want to ask something.

Now Im gonna take care of my nasty hangover, be careful out there 8)
Välkommen Micke!

Hope you will have a good time with the rapier I sold you!

The Scandinavians are getting plentiful on RAT!!