Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Helmet Crests
Just seems it may have been buried in some sort of transition zone of soil strata....causing the different discolouration? Just an amature opinion...but seems a possibility...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
loved reading this thread as I have always been interested in the greek crest and roman plume

going to add my 2 cents for what its worth and leave myself open to criticism

as someone with a huge passion for military history, as well as a hobby which some might know as airsoft.. I can say one thing when it comes to preparing for "battle" .. you tend to want to carry things you will use.. carrying weight = functional first.. something that hinders you will always be something you tend to not want to bring..

however.. this does not mitigate the fact that when your out there with a bunch of guys, against a bunch of guys.. your gear can have a dramatic impact on you psychologically.. if your one of the guys wearing the best stuff on the field that day.. you feel it ;D

something ive always found interesting is that people seem to kind of forget that helmets were passed down generation to generation and that the crest while yes ofcourse was most likely for officers (for identification purposes) as well as the wealthy (for status) and not to mention the fact that the wealthy were also likely officers .. I would wager to some degree there were common occurances of lower soldiers with crests based on 2 reasons.. as the crest was depicted in mythology for gods.. this was likely imitated on the battle field, when you did something huge to turn the tide or took down a huge member of the opposite force in a spectacular fashion, I bet crests were either given or permitted to those soldiers deserving of one.. and inherently that crest would also pass down through generations to reflect the honour and glory that your family had fought for in the past..

*edit* also as far as attaching the crests... this should be somewhat obvious to some.. it would vary culture to culture, time period to time period, soldier to soldier perhaps.. soldiers tend to "jury rig" their kit frequently, id imagine especially so whilst on campaign.. weather you were wealthy enough to afford a helmet with the proper pieces to attach it to, or perhaps you did not originally have a crest but later acquired it and attached it with some adhesive?? I am willing to bet that it was almost as varied as the individual soldiers equipment

but anyways that's just my lack of sleep inspired opinion Smile
cheers!
Thanks for reviving this thread. Just to confuse matters even more take a look at coinage where Corinthian helmets are featured. There seems to be some kind of fitting on the sides just under the bowl, perhaps for securing a transverse crest? Or perhaps for some kind of strap?
[attachment=12066]1995131.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12070]925281.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12071]435761.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
very cool pics, I also love looking at ancient numismatics Smile even own a roman coin from 177 ad.. but yes I notice the little notches, could be some sort of attachment point for a transverse crest, could also be decorative as I have seen many Corinthians with cool patterns over various locations..
cheers for the reply Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmets. with or without crests.... ?? MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 44 15,940 03-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Last Post: The Dioskouri
  Greek helmet crests:Question. Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs 17 4,718 06-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Idomeneas