• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Plumbata
those pictures have my fingers itching to throw it.....:roll:
......no...no...you can't.... it's a real one..... :lol:
That is perfect.....
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
What do you think of the way that head is constructed?
It seems as if an 'V' had been welded to the shank, which is exactly the same method used by many modern replica makers... :?
The rust on the iron is not deep, that, of course could happen in favourable lime soils. The lead looks convincingly oxidized in white, but I own Springfield and Remington lead bullets from last quarter of XIXth century which are in far worse condition... (We have here a rather damp environment, unlike that at the Balkans, but... :? )
More opinions?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I've seen more points like these (before anyone knew what a plumbata was) but it's hard to be sure without actually touching it.
It speaks for the seller that he originally thought that it was a pilum :!: , dated 1st-2nd c.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sorry for linking to ebay - I was so paralysed by seeing this plumbatum... :oops:

Patrick sent me the link and I really started to laugh when I saw it was described as pilum.
But in some way it makes me feeling sad when people have no idea of hat it is and then try to sell it...

The lead looks naturally corroded (? sorry about my english) to me. I had excavations in the late antique fort Burghöfe (submuntorium) and the lead there was looking like this one here - as far as you could say it by analysing a picture.

Would be interesting to know if there are sructures of wood preserved in the back of the lead or if there was iron again?
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
Quote:Sorry for linking to ebay - I was so paralysed by seeing this plumbatum... :oops:
You're forgiven. it's a very nice one, original or not..

Quote:Would be interesting to know if there are structures of wood preserved in the back of the lead or if there was iron again?
Well, I hope it goes to a good home.. From the look of it, I'm willing to venture a guess that it had a wooden shaft.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Do we have any good photos of these things being thrown?

Mike

Try this: [url:2lx380zp]http://www.comitatus.net/plumb1.AVI[/url]

It requires REAL player.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Here are mine:
[Image: plumbatae.jpg]
Which way do you think is more correct to throw'em? Under or upper arm?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:Try this: [url:2xd4ojp4]http://www.comitatus.net/plumb1.AVI[/url]It requires REAL player.
Yes, I saw your movies earlier - nice!
How far would you say that 'enemy line' is from the thrower?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Mithras:667d8kom Wrote:Try this: [url:667d8kom]http://www.comitatus.net/plumb1.AVI[/url]It requires REAL player.
Yes, I saw your movies earlier - nice!
How far would you say that 'enemy line' is from the thrower?

Hmm, I'm not sure, but 60-70m is about usual for us. It was Salvianus (Stephen Kenwright) doing the throwing and it was his first time I believe, so I don't think he would appreciate anybody using his throws as normal for the Roman period!

Often we have them arcing up and out of the sky.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:Often we have them arcing up and out of the sky.
Big Grin D
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
continued from the "Show here your Roman impression" thread

Quote:Actually, I know (of) at least four reenactors with plumbata in their shields:
Leg XIIII (UK), I think Crispvs is the owner, Rob from the Batavi, then Ivan and myself. All flat shields, but I'm working on shorter ones behind my dished shield. Not a problem.
Yes, Mine are held with a leather strap. A bit loosely anyway, because I figure they were not carried to march with but to be distributed just before battle.

Close-up from last year at Archeon:
www.fectio.org.uk/shows/2005archeonjasper13.jpg
http://www.fectio.org.uk/shows/2005archeonfrederic4.jpg

Interesting how you throw it underhanded. I thought it was more akin to throwing darts at a board (or like in RTW). Are they too heavy or awkward to throw overhanded, Vortigern ? Less effective range ?

Or were you just experimenting with both ways ?
Jaime
I've tried overhanded and could reach over 60 metres.
Ivan Perelló
Well, we need to do some new tests. Test back in the 80's and 90's determined the underhand throw was best and up to 70m were reached. However, these days some groups easily reach up to a 100 m... I think it matters how heavy the dart is, not just how long.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Ya damn right Vorty! Idea
Ivan Perelló
With thanks to Uwe Bahr for the tip-off, yet another plumbata has found its way to an internet sale.

[Image: 7413797099.jpg]
It's a nice one (slightly bent) with barbs and a typical weight. Measurements are length: 146 mm and weight: 117 gm, which according to my collected data makes it avarage length and a bit lighter than average.
To see larger images:
www.ancientcaesar.com/web/a/01/288.jpg
www.ancientcaesar.com/web/a/01/287.jpg
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans