Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Plumbata
Quote:The head is integrally forged or soldered?
Forged.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I have plumbata envy!!! :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks Robert I am glad they arrived safe and you are happy with themBig Grin even if they are :twisted: Hope you have lots of fun with them,look forward to you test results. I just forgot to make myself one to try DOH! Big Grin
[Image: P9161622.jpg]
This is before the lead went on Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
These look great, Tony Big Grin !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:
MDF post=296785 Wrote:The head is integrally forged or soldered?
Forged.

Well,
In this case, double congratulations for Tony :wink:
Very very good forging.
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Have any of you reenactment people experimented with finding a way of placing five of these behind the shield as described by Vegetius, and if so do you have photographs?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Quote:Have any of you reenactment people experimented with finding a way of placing five of these behind the shield as described by Vegetius, and if so do you have photographs?

Of course! Big Grin I think I started with that almost 10 years ago.

Below is my first attempt, 5 very large plumbatae from Len Morgan behind my flat Dura scutum. I now think these plumbatae are too large and too heavy, given the weight known from plumbata finds. I have not tried a new configuration of smaller ones behind a dished shield yet. These days, I use the large red missile carrier also in the top image, after a description in the Strategicon, a Later Roman military manual.

This is at LRE I at Archeon, 2005:
[Image: 2005archeonjasper14.jpg]

Also at LRE I, with in the foreground Rob Finlayson of the batavi with a small quiver attached to his scutum:
[Image: 2005archeonfrederic2.jpg]

And finally, also at LRE I (we tested our plumbatae there for an article), Ivan Perelló (Faventinianus) of the Coh I Germanica with a solution of 4 plumbatae behind a smaller shield:
[Image: 2005archeonfrederic5.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:This is the current toll
And new ones continue coming in:

This is the current toll (still rising, I’m still following a Bulgarian trail):

30 from Serbia
27 from Britain
15 from Austria
12 from Slovenia
10 from Hungary
10 from France (up from 9)
8 from Croatia (up from 6)
8 from Italy
7 from Switzerland
5 from Germany
4 from Georgia/Abchasia
3 from Greece (but the dates are problematic and possibly BC)
2 from Bulgaria (up from 1)
2 from Rumania
1 from Liechtenstein
1 from The Netherlands
1 from Slovakia

That totals 146 plumbatae from publications which includes a find spot, some measurements and most of the time a description.
To that total of 146 published items, I can add another 32 (up from 21) plumbatae that are either unprovenanced or from some sort of internet auction. I cannot vouch for these being either originals or from the areas they are supposedly found in. A further 8-11 are totally unprovenanced and might even be modern forgeries.
The grand total stands at 189 (November 22nd, 2011 - up from 173 on June 24th, 2011).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
The points made by Tony look very different from the images of plumbata finds you sent me at the time. Are these based on a new find? They look great, by the way.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:The points made by Tony look very different from the images of plumbata finds you sent me at the time. Are these based on a new find? They look great, by the way.
They are based on a find from Britain but even more from a new find from Serbia. The one from Britain (Wroxeter) I did not trust 100%, but the one from Serbia (unknown site) confirmed it. This model makes replacing a broken wooden shaft far easier (as Comitatus know for years), so I asked Tony for this model.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I came across this article on plumbatae this morning regarding finds in Serbia. I expect, Robert, that might be already familiar with it but will post just in case you are not - or for anyone else interested in these vicious little things!

http://bg.academia.edu/MiroslavVujovic/P...ROM_SERBIA

The article catalogues finds in the general Serbian area and gives an overview of the weapon as understood today.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Quote:I came across this article on plumbatae this morning regarding finds in Serbia. http://peopleofar.wordpress.com/2011/11/...ming-soon/
Hi Francis,
Are you sure you posted the correct link? This one only shows a documentary (coming soon) about Armenia?

I suppose you are referring to the article by Miroslav Vujović, which I posted 6 month ago:
Vujović, Miroslav B. (2009): The Plumbata from Serbia, in: Journal of the Serbian Archaeological Society vol 25, pp. 203-219:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=e...y=CMnY-ZIB
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Ah yes - I fear the copying and pasting act escaped me correctly! My apologies!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Current toll:

30 from Serbia
27 from Britain
15 from Austria
14 from Slovenia
11 from France
9 from Hungary
8 from Croatia
8 from Italy
7 from Switzerland
5 from Germany
4 from Georgia/Abchasia
3 from Greece (possibly BC)
2 from Bulgaria
2 from Liechtenstein
2 from Rumania
1 from Belgium
1 from The Netherlands
1 from Slovakia

All known findspots:
[attachment=2856]plumbatae2012-02-06.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi Robert

Your update has just reminded me of something.

I was looking at the Wroxeter finds (reports illustrations not the artefacts themselves). May I ask why you did not trust their plunbatae 100%? Was it just one or all of them?

Thank you in advance.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!