Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finished Linothorax
Yes this is realy good, i don't know much about Greek armor but it looks just fine!

Where comes the inspiration from vases, books? All the details are indeed very nice, the lion heads, the scorpion, the decoration bands...

Outstanding! 8)
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
The chiton is simply secured by two very small stitches where the pins would be. That way it doesn't chafe.

Inspiration came from prior work I have done and that, in turn, came from vases and artwork from the period.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
Laudes!Laudes! Laudes!
Peter Raftos
great work laudes!!! More pictures please and not just static. That could be good reference material for illustrations!
I think you and Giannis have the best linos around
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
WOW!

*looks again*

WOW!

*looks again again*

Great work, man! Looks Spiffy!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:The chiton is simply secured by two very small stitched where the pins would be. That way it doesn't chafe.

Somewhere I have a copy of a paper on the way Greeks used buttons to secure the chiton, I wondered if this made them chafe less under armor. If you are curious, send me an email and I'll send a copy of the paper if I can find it.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
That´s fantastic! Confusedhock:
It´s awesome, it´s wonderful!
Nice idea to paint a scorpion on the backside!
Great!
Strategos
(Willi Miesen)

Athenian Hoplite
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de]
Laudes Chris!

Is that the Depeeka chalcidic ?

Kind regards
Yes, it is a Deepeeka Helmet. The high crest we have been discussing is going on it within a couple weeks.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
How many "man hours" do you reckon this took you, approximately?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
A very rough guess is 200-250 hours. That is actually working. It took 7 1/2 weeks to do with the dry times and waiting on material though.
Chris Boatcallie
How did you make the scales in the end? Did you cut them out individually? Your right Giannis! Bronze does look very nice! Big Grin
Pericles of Rhodes (AKA George)
I made each one individually by hand. I cut them out with shears and then used a hand punch to make the holes.
Chris Boatcallie
Does bronze curl up on the edges when using shears or? How was it? Slow going on that part?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
It did not curl up on the edges with the straight snips I used. I used "notching" shears for cutting the curved edge and it left tooling marks on that edge, but it was easily filed. The entire scale curved slightly when cutting a row of 8 scales out of the grid, but that curve spread over 8 scales was easily flattened for each individual scale. Bottom line is that it wasn't that difficult with 24 gauge phosphor bronze.
Chris Boatcallie