Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
Quote:...but they didn't have enough men (in my opinion) to cover the opening of another front on the West of the Silurian Territory in AD58.

At the risk of straying even further off topic, may I please ask what is the basis of your assumption that the XXth did not have enough men?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:At the risk of straying even further off topic

Might the posts above, from Deryk's question about forts in Wales, be more profitably split into a new thread?

Apart from keeping the topic focussed, I'm sure many people don't even bother looking at ths thread any more! :whistle:
Nathan Ross
Boudicca called out again for Silchester;
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/...ation-ends
Hi Nathan

I have created a new thread - but no takers so far Sad

Just trying to add a little flesh to the bones and sort out some anomalies......

Perhaps its a little risky?

Kind Regards - Deryk
Deryk
At the risk of making this a general Boudicca thread (admins please move if another thread would be better);
http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/colchester_ro..._1_3756005
Don't the think the Roman's "idiot's guide to selecting a battlefield", might suggest an open plain suited to Roman formations and not e.g. the forest of the Teutoburg disaster?
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.
A bit more on the Colchester find;
http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/...n-treasure
I've started a new thread with John1's second post on the Colchester hoard - or the Fenwick Treasure as it is being called - so more will see it.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Did anyone else see ' Weapons of Death' on last evening's Yesterday Channel, Monday 29th September?
Weaponry used in the (Boudiccan) uprising against the Roman Army.

Said to have taken place outside the town walls of Lactodurum, ''somewhere between London and Wroxeter'' then switched to the nearby landscape at Alderton, with little evidence, except that the topography fitted Tacitus' description( which was reliable) and that there was a river where the oxen could be watered
The crush of the rebels against their own wagon trains was compared with Hillsborough, which I felt was in extremely poor taste.

I could go on, but it was all a bit gruesome. At best, maybe a wasted opportunity.
Davidus
Correction. Instruments (not Weapons) of Death.
And I do realise that Boudicca was not the subject matter, just a peg to hand the programme on.
Davidus
I didn't see it, I believe it's a repeat, Alderton is the nearest village to the Cuttle Mill site so almost ceratainly Marix Evans theory.
Yes it is. All three things. I occasionally visit Pury Farm, closeby. It is inviting to believe in a site that is familiar.
Davidus
Another question, please? Regarding burning. Matrix Evans suggests that Towcester may have been the forward base for SP and was not burnt because the B had not reached there.
If this is the case, what about the other Roman settlements between Colchester, London and St Albans and Towcester? Or were they not extant at the time?
Apologies if this has been covered in one of the previous 50 pages/
Davidus
Quote:Towcester may have been the forward base for SP and was not burnt because the B had not reached there.

Ehmm guys.. I know this discussion has been raging for a full century here, but please.. for those of us not-yet-initiated-into-Baudica-Mysteries.. stick to full names will ya?

B = Brigantes I think?
SP = Suetonius Paulinus.

Smile
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sorry another correction.
B=Boudicca (not ''the B'')
Davidus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,482 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex