Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
Quote:by Tim

Who is Tim? I don't have time at the moment to watch the whole thing and find out, sadly...
Nathan Ross
Quote:Who is Tim? I don't have time at the moment to watch the whole thing and find out, sadly...
Tim is the real name of the Roman general who defeated Boudica at a site in the West Midlands @ 20:50. Smile
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Tim is the real name of the Roman general who defeated Boudica at a site in the West Midlands @ 20:50. Smile
8.50pm seems very late to be having a battle!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
2050hrs would be a reasonable time if it was fought on the summer solstice... so not only do we know the General was called Tim and the battle was fought in the West Midlands, it was fought on 21 June Smile
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Moi.....I was surprised to see you comment upon your favourite thread. You must have missed this thread so much.
Bust of luck sorting it out............again.
So tim has put paid to this thread to bed once and for all. All hail "Tim".
Thread finished......Smile
I have my doubts though.
Kevin
Kevin
@ Nathan,
Dr Tim Pestell, curator of archaeology, Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery. Probably an Iceni sympathiser. :evil:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/norfolk-life/arch..._1_3857540

note also Prof Roberts solves another mystery for us, the revolt was definitively in 61AD not 60/61AD, but I think Nathan has already pointed this out to us.

End of thread ???? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 38.2k views and counting......
May be of interest to some:

http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/bajrpress/mola-...the-forum/

Looking for reviews so may get a free copy.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
they've only gone and found her.... it looks like the western theory was a winner;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-glo...e-31610266
Quote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-glo...e-31610266

Quite amazing restraint shown here by the BBC writer in not craftily suggesting that this 'Bodicaca' was connected in some way to the famous leader of the Iceni!

However, as we already have a tombstone from Numidia mentioning Lollia Bodicca, wife of a centurion from Britain, the name isn't all that surprising...

Nice try though, John! :grin:
Nathan Ross
Quote:we already have a tombstone from Numidia mentioning Lollia Bodicca, wife of a centurion from Britain
Now that would be a different end to the story! She did not kill herself but married a centurio and went abroad! :woot: Thanks for that one Nathan.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
An interesting sober account of the tombstone recently discovered:

https://thepetrifiedmuse.wordpress.com/2...#like-1108
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Steve Kaye has a new paper out on the subject;
https://www.academia.edu/11015820/Findin...e_matching

it is big, really big........

Fig 21 show CS and Dunstable as the eastern most candidates which I think should budge them further up the rankings of 49 and 70 respectively. However it's better for CS than the FT rankings which made it the "least likely candidate";
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/00513e38-1d78-...abdc0.html
Quote:Steve Kaye has a new paper out on the subject

Aha - that's more like it!

Some interesting ideas there, and good to see (again) a convincing rebuttal of the 'cavalry dash' ;-)

Of his top sites, I'd say both Dorking and Tring/Berkhamsted are pretty good. However, both appear to have a river running at right angles through the Roman front line (or perhaps on one flank, at Dorking)... I wonder if the area around Aldbury, north-east of Tring, might be a more fruitful consideration.

The western sites, Ogbourne and Shalbourne, are much too far west I think, and it would involve too many convolutions to get both sides to a battle there. Steve Kaye at least admits an unfair preference!

His appraisal of the Watling Street route suffers, I think, from the idea that a withdrawal in this direction would 'demoralise' the troops. I suspect they would be far more 'demoralised' by a withdrawal west or south into unknown country, with the prospect of the enemy cutting their route home and potentially threatening their bases and families around Wroxeter... The loss of a line of communication with the rest of the army in Wales would also be a significant con for the west or south, I'd say.

Also, as I've probably said before (!), the need for Paulinus to 'make sure' there was no enemy behind him suggests it was at least a possibility - and we therefore cannot rule out operations in potentially hostile area.

But all these arguments do feel very familiar now! :-)
Nathan Ross
page 20 final paragraph is an issue for me;

"adjacent to Watling Street and a site championed as the actual battle site (Pegg, 2010)"

should in my view read;

"adjacent to Watling Street and a site championed as a potential candidate for the battle site (Pegg, 2010)"

:whistle:
This forum is the only one I know of that discusses the Boudican revolt, therefore I must correct some misleading statements.

Nathan Ross writes of my essay, "Of his top sites, I'd say both Dorking and Tring/Berkhamsted are pretty good. However, both appear to have a river running at right angles through the Roman front line (or perhaps on one flank, at Dorking)."

To be clear, I re-construct the river flows, velocities, widths etc. for the Summer of the Ist C. AD and use these computations in the essay to produce various factors.

Unlike Ross, I did not mistake the Grand Union Canal for a river.

Furthermore, and contrary to Ross' implication, I penalise those potential battle-sites that have rivers flowing through the front-line. See page 16 of the essay on Academia.edu:

"Effect of a river flowing through the front-line – having sufficient water nearby was undoubtedly beneficial to the Romans, but having that water flow through the front-line was not, for obvious reasons. This attribute therefore penalises such battle-sites (482 of the 862) by assigning a value of one to rivers that flowed at either end or beyond a front-line, linearly through to zero when the river flowed at the centre. Additionally, a weighting based on the width of the intruding river was also applied – the greater the width, the greater the penalty."

Steve Kaye

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,481 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex