Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Show your gladius off!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello everyone! I am starting this thread for you guys to show your nice gladii on. So just post pictures and a description of it - the manufacturer, any modifications, what type of gladius, etc. Mine is under stages of modification and I will post it later but you guys post first!
Regards, Jason
Actually, modifications cancelled :-( I instead am buying a better sword that does not need many modifications Smile
Regards, Jason
Will ANYBODY post any pictures of their gladii? I bet they look good :wink:
Regards, Jason
Here is my SOTW Gladi with the tip I modified.
[Image: n02nvXc.jpg]
That's the one I have. That's basically the only thing really wrong with the Hardwood Magnus (Now called the Centurio evidently), the tip is too long. He's fixed it on the new Pompeii designs (The Optio and Tesserarius).

[Image: 10355492_1424565781162023_733550969730691104_o.jpg]
Magister,
Is the baldric your own design? I like your background - your Coptic tunic. The scabbard plates look very nice, and so does the entire sword. Luckily the new swords do not have that problem, so I do not have to do much work on mine, even though I do like projects.

Mike,
Since you modified the tip of your gladius, I am guessing that it is the Centurion ( Magnus ). Am I right? From your Augustan scutum, I am guessing you reenact an earlier period than I do.
Regards, Jason
Hi guys. I think this "blade tip is too long for a pompeii gladius" is a bit of an re-enactorism. This kind of "longer" points are in fact much more common than these pure, more triangular pompeii-type tips (check Christian Miks: "Studien zur römischen Schwertbewaffnung in der Kaiserzeit"). Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Magister,
Is the baldric your own design? I like your background - your Coptic tunic. The scabbard plates look very nice, and so does the entire sword. Luckily the new swords do not have that problem, so I do not have to do much work on mine, even though I do like projects.

Mike,
Since you modified the tip of your gladius, I am guessing that it is the Centurion ( Magnus ). Am I right? From your Augustan scutum, I am guessing you reenact an earlier period than I do.

The Baldric is the SOTW one. I just bought it this year.

I also have a Deepeeka Late Roman Spatha (which I got for free). I plan to re-do the Deepeeka sword ASAP (because to be frank their "Late Late Roman Sword" is terrible, it never got an N-Series revamp). I don't have an angle grinder to fix the blade with, but I plan on taking the whole hilt off and turning it into a simple hilt, like a Feltwell. I don't have the skill to do the scabbard, I'm just going to superglue the slider back in place and put some leather ties around it.

[SPOILER][Image: full26801058.jpg][/SPOILER]

@Virilis

Having read Miks, I do believe the point is still slightly too long for even those examples. Thanks for the comment though.
If the sword is so terrible, why don't you post about it next time Gagan is posting about some of his new Deepeeka stuff? I agree with you, the blade, and the whole sword, is pretty off historically. Does Deepeeka have any historical evidence for that hilt?
Regards, Jason
It's based on the Cologne example but the hilt is way too big and the wrong shape.

And the whole thing weighs like 10 pounds.

And the whole thing weighs like 10 pounds

Yikes! That is way over weight. That definitely needs a revamp. So the hilt is the cologne example, just very bad and oversized. Someone needs to fix this at Deepeeka Sad
Regards, Jason
They have a newer Spatha, AH4002 or something like that, which I've heard is better but I don't know. It's a 3rd century example so they have no 4th or 5th century blades.
Yes, I have seen that spatha. It is definitely third century - the circular chape, early style bone handle, and other factors clearly spell out around 250ad. Also, the number is AH2002 :wink:
Regards, Jason
AH2002 is the old one, this is the remake of the AH2002 Spatha.
I bet the new one must look a whole world better than the old one. The N series swords and daggers look very good, except Deepeeka keeps wrapping the grip plates on the rear of the pugio over on the front and then riveting it. I have no idea where they got that idea but I hope that they fix their stuff, as much of it is quite inaccurate. I think that they also redid their late Roman spatha, the one you have, because it is much lighter now, according to Deepeeka.
Regards, Jason

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius discussion (was: show your gladius off) Crispvs 47 9,260 02-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  show off your gladius TITVS PVLLO 138 47,776 02-12-2013, 03:47 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake