Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring Pommel Sword
Hi guys!

Yep, I'm back in business. So I thought I would share my latest creation, one I have wanted to do for quite some time:

Indeed the pommel is forged and rivited to the tang, which no one will ever see because of the wooden handle, but I know it is there and done the period way :-) . Going to be doing some new third and fourth century stuff the coming period, as well as holding a clearance sale of some previous first century knives Wink . That and some Migration era stuff, like knives and some larger saex.

Kind greetings
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Good to have you back Robert, you have been missed!
Joe Balmos
(05-01-2017, 04:49 PM)Creon01 Wrote: Good to have you back Robert, you have been missed!

Hi Joe, oh, I have logged in from time to time, but now I have decided to post on a more regular basis on all things involving Roman ironworking. Making new stuff should be fun and I am working on a way to share my knowledge of basic forging/weaponsmithing.
In the meantime, I have not been idle, developing a really cool archeo-game for grammerschools, involving 8 time periods and 64 defining archeological finds in different materials with which the pupils get a hands-on experience of the evolution of things throughout the history, starting in the stone age right up to the modern era.  
Life has been a bit different having lost my job a few years back and trying to set up a small themepark Erve Eme, but I have given that up and am now just the resident blacksmith.

Hope you like the ringpommel Big Grin .
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Wow fantastic bit of work love it  : Smile Robert good to see you back  Wink  and you are spot on with the riveted tang. To me the riveted tang is a Roman thing someone came up with the idea to make rings and then sell them to soldiers so they could convert there own sword to the new fashion. Also the inlaid type again comes from the inlaid slides and chapes and someone has offered to bling up a basic plain ring, but most sure just plain rings that are found. I am looking into tying some of the inlaid work down to may be a workshop but more research first. Still great work and good luck with your project.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(05-01-2017, 06:18 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Wow fantastic bit of work love it  : Smile Robert good to see you back  Wink  and you are spot on with the riveted tang. To me the riveted tang is a Roman thing someone came up with the idea to make rings and then sell them to soldiers so they could convert there own sword to the new fashion. Also the inlaid type again comes from the inlaid slides and chapes and someone has offered to bling up a basic plain ring, but most sure just plain rings that are found. I am looking into tying some of the inlaid work down to may be a workshop but more research first. Still great work and good luck with your project.

Thanks Tony! Praise from the "ring pommel king" is sweet indeed. The proof:

Of course, there are forge welded ones in the records, but most are rivited. I did a lapjoin and bronze rivits.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Thank you very much Robert praise indeed. The tang forged rings are more likely from the east brought into the empire. I have a few good photos of the tang weld, there may also be another type were a ring has just been welded to a tang most I have seen are on Main/ Fulhams type blades as well as a few spathas, the top of the tang has been bent back on itself then a ring is placed in between then welded shut, again just needs better research to confirm this. As with your example it is easy to see how a normal wood bone hilt could be converted very quickly, especially  if a sword Smith has a sample case and says choose your ring  Smile look forward to your next beauty.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Robert, as you know one can never have too many quality ancient sword reproductions to show the kids, and let them handle to get a solid feel for the past. This is from last Saturday at the New Jersey Junior Classical League Convention. Your Kopis and Newstead Spatha are there as well as a large Roman spear head you made for someone else. About a 200 Latin students were present and although not every kid came by, most did.

Good mix of your swords and some by Matt Lukes, Albion, Mark Morrow, Del Tin, Manning Imperial, various other custom sword makers and even a few modified Deepeekas.

[Image: 34211813882_554ae76595.jpg]

[Image: 34239353521_1282732fcf.jpg]
Joe Balmos
Hahahaha, you need more swords Dodgy . That Kopis is still one of my favorits.
This is the artifact box we are currently using. It is used with 8 "timesheets" to help the students identify the objects, so they do not really need much knowledge in advance.

There are a few themes running through, such as ranged weapons, jewelry, pottery, barter items/coins, clothing (pins, broches, hooks, buttons). We use small objects as could be found in the fields. 

Working on an article about the methode and hoping to be be able to sell a number of boxes to musea and/or archeological centers. We recreate the pottery as well, then bake it at the correct temperature and smash the pot to get shards.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarmatian Ring Pommel dagger brennivs - tony drake 11 2,894 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Pattern Welded Ring pommel gladius leonardod 3 1,991 04-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  and another ring pommel spatha... leonardo 3 1,703 10-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Last Post: leonardo