Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painted Helmets and repainted Linthorax
Hello, I'm getting involved in Hoplite, and have been searching for a Corinthian helmet that suits me.   But what I want to know is about painting the helmet itself. I saw some stuff about the cheek plates being painted and wanted to know if this was appropriate. I can find information on the crest boxes being painted, and hints at the helmets being painted but I want some opinions before I do anything. I had just planed to [/font][/size][font=Times New Roman]paint blue and white checks on mine, nothing as fancy as the photo I put up for reference. I also bought a commercially available linothorax that I plan to repaint as well has anyone else ever done that?
Regarding painted linos/spola body armor:

[Image: 33210409430_73b307c621_z.jpg]

Some think he's wearing a common leather cap, a kynee, while others think it's the bottom of a helmet, either way it's blue.

[Image: 33477494481_f3c45367e9.jpg]
Joe Balmos
(08-10-2017, 07:56 PM)Thank you very much! I really want to highlight my Linthorax to match my crest and paint my helmet as well. Creon01 Wrote: Regarding painted linos/spola body armor:

[Image: 33210409430_73b307c621_z.jpg]

Some think he's wearing a common leather cap, a kynee, while others think it's the bottom of a helmet, either way it's blue.

[Image: 33477494481_f3c45367e9.jpg]
I very much suspect that some of the patterned geometric bands seen in the depictions are actually tablet-woven bands; they are often seen near the top of the tube section of the armour.
Some of the other decorations could be embroidered or painted.  Much earlier Egyptian linen armour had tablet-woven bands, as did some of Tut's garments.
Agreed. Just because the stone representation was painted doesn't mean that the actual item was painted.

FWIW I'm in the camp who thinks that it is a Corinthian tipped back on the head.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Like this? It would certainly look more heroic.

[Image: 33437104762_f7076f40fc_o.jpg]

From the Tomb of Lyson and Kallikles in ancient Mieza (modern-day Lefkadia), Hellenistic helmets.

[Image: 35766641193_c20ba28aca.jpg]
Joe Balmos
(08-14-2017, 11:47 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: Agreed. Just because the stone representation was painted doesn't mean that the actual item was painted.

The good news is that the bands are easy to commission or find:

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=tablet%20w...&ref=auto3
I have decieded to attempt to make my own. the 300+ bucks for the Depeeka one is just not relistic at the moment so with my wifes help I hope to sew one up. Thank you for all your wonderful help!
Red pigment has been found on the top of a corinthian helmet. Wish I had the reference...
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
You'll have to stop using photobucket if you haven't paid for an account. Best not to use any of the free imaging hosting services. RAT has its own server that works well enough. Upload relevant images here.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I didn't upload a photo Dan, that was my group's logo with my personal info that was visible in the olden times. I need to go to the setings and remove it...
Giannis K. Hoplite
(10-02-2017, 09:17 PM)Giannis K. Hoplite Wrote: Red pigment has been found on the top of a corinthian helmet. Wish I had the reference...

Now that IS interesting. Can you tell us more? What type of Corinthian? Was it located at a shrine or on a potential battlefield?
Joe Balmos
I think it was from a grave, and not from mainland Greece. But I cannot remember the reference...Sorry!
Giannis K. Hoplite
There is this sculpture with red paint on the helmet:
https://books.google.com/books?id=gfQwAQ...et&f=false
This paper focuses mainly on patinas and coatings but it touches a little on paint as well.
http://orca.cf.ac.uk/33749/1/2012mantipphd.pdf
Giannis K. Hoplite