Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military mobilization of Africa
Ave Civitas,

Still working on my novel, The Bandit King (All about Alaric).  I am a little confused about Gildo and the reaches of his command.

He was count of Africa.  Was that a military district?  The title count suggests it was.
If so, how far did the military district extend?
Did it include Africa Procunsularis, Mauretania Caesariensis, Mauretania Sitifensis, Numidia Militiana, Numidia Cirtensis and Tripolitania?

If it did, and if he wanted to mobilize the whole army (When Stilicho declared war against him) would he need to enlist the Vicarius of Africa?   The counsuls and praefects of Africa?   Surely the Praetorian Praefect of Italy would tell the Vicar of Africa, "No."  How could he supply his troops?

It seems like such a daunting task, getting everyone on the same side of the line.
Any information and sources (in English, I am handicapped that way) are appreciated.

Again, thanks in advance.
Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Read Jeroen P Wijnendaele's new book on Boniface. He covers this.
Thanks. I will see what inter-library loan can cough up before I buy YET ANOTHER BOOK.
Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

(09-13-2017, 06:07 PM)Lothia Wrote: He was count of Africa.  Was that a military district?  The title count suggests it was.
If so, how far did the military district extend?
Did it include Africa Procunsularis, Mauretania Caesariensis, Mauretania Sitifensis, Numidia Militiana, Numidia Cirtensis and Tripolitania?

If it did, and if he wanted to mobilize the whole army (When Stilicho declared war against him) would he need to enlist the Vicarius of Africa?   The counsuls and praefects of Africa?   Surely the Praetorian Praefect of Italy would tell the Vicar of Africa, "No."  How could he supply his troops?

It seems like such a daunting task, getting everyone on the same side of the line.
Any information and sources (in English, I am handicapped that way) are appreciated.

Again, thanks in advance.
Tom

Comes Africae was indeed a military command. The comes would have commanded the African mobile field army, while the border commands were in the hands of de duces, the dux Tingitaniae and the dux Mauretaniae Caesariensis. The comes Africae did not control 'the whole army' - the comes Tingitaniae had his own command to the West and the command to his immediate East (comes Libyarum) even belonged to the Roman army of the East.
The vicariae and the praefecti only had powers over the civilian side of the administration, so although it would have been wise to get their support they were not essential in command of the armed forces.

Troops of the comes Africae: http://lukeuedasarson.com/ComesAfricae.html

Map of the army as organised in the later 4th century (Notitia Dignitatum):

Army structure:

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Mr. Vermaat,

Thank you very much for your reply. Very detailed, very informative.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Sorry Tom, I didn't have time for a detailed response.
(09-14-2017, 10:42 AM)Lothia Wrote: Mr. Vermaat,
Thank you very much for your reply.  Very detailed, very informative.

Call me Robert please - and you're welcome Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman military gear from Africa ? Theodosius the Great 15 3,734 06-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great