Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Healthcare system?
Ave!<br>
<br>
I was reading an article earlier in the week about the healthcare system here in the US. A question popped into my mind..........was there a healthcare system in ancient Rome(in a modern sense) and if so how did the imperial goverment go about administering such? I understand this might be a broad subject, but I'd be intersted in knowing, so any answer would be greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
NH24 <p></p><i></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
When you remember that aquaducts were a major part of Roman health card delivery, you realize they were in this in a big way. Not just for the patricians, but all classes. Think of the public toilets that flushed, and the sewer system. Remember that baths were common and accessible to everyone.<br>
<br>
There were Roman officials responsible for roads, bridges, aquaducts, sewers, etc. I think the aediles were responsible for maintenance of public facilities. <p>Legio XX <br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p088.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc>Richsc</A> at: 10/14/04 11:38 am<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I found a few links:<br>
<br>
Roman Healthcard <p>Legio XX <br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Woooow! From what I've read on the link,the Romans had an uncanny perception of health and put their knowledge to good use. Thanks a million Rich! <p></p><i></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
The Roman understanding of public health was certainly impressive (though it tends to get somewhat overestimated - a lot of their waterworks were luxury projects for civic prestige). However, what we understand as a health care system was rather limited in development.<br>
<br>
- In Rome (as well as several other locations), the temple of Aesculapius (Asklepios) served as a collecting point for the sick where they found shelter and kind souls offered what help they could. There was no dedicated medical staff that I know of, but doctors were available on a fee basis at Asklepeia, and IIRC Claudius passed a law forbidding slaves who were deposited there to die to be reclaimed in the event of recovery, so it was not just somewhere to crawl and die.<br>
<br>
- Cities in the Greek East sometimes retained a 'public doctor' who was required to serve the citizenry either for free or (mnore usually) for a set fee structure. The position came with a stipend iontended to encourage iots holder to stay in the city. This may have been more informed by the desire to have a doctor in town at all than to give the poor access to his services.<br>
<br>
- In Late Antiquity, we find something called an 'archiatros' (loosely translated as 'arch-doctor' and the etymological source of the German 'Arzt'). The functions are pretty unclear, but this seems to indicate some kind of supervisory function.<br>
<br>
- I would assume that veterans had access, to some degree, to the medical services of the army. I have no proof for this whatsoever, it is a guess, but the close connection between serving and former soldiers makes it likely to me. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was the political system of the Roman Republic unique? Corvus 3 1,971 08-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus