Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Google Earth stuff
Nathan,

I'm concerned that you write, "I've never been able to get any of your attached maps and files to load though". I've checked all the links, the import to Google Earth and everything works.

Late you write, "but couldn't get your full site list to open"; are you referring to top-100-sites.KMZ?

Please expand your comments so I can track-down the problem(s).
(01-22-2018, 09:15 AM)Steve Kaye Wrote: "but couldn't get your full site list to open"; are you referring to top-100-sites.KMZ?

Both of the KMZ files and the kml file. Whever I try to open them I get this message:

Could be a problem with my computer - has anyone else opened them successfully?
Nathan Ross
Steve,
I have the same problem as Nathan because I am wary about downloading any of the 'viewer' software, not knowing their source. Can you please recommend one?
(01-22-2018, 10:32 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote: Could be a problem with my computer - has anyone else opened them successfully?

Not I. I get the same error message.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
All the Google Earth stuff works at my end, using a fairly recent update of Google Earth Pro.

350 115
Well, that was an interesting set of responses - thank you. John has confirmed what I thought is the problem ..... 

It seems that none of you are using Google Earth (GE) and that, consequentially, your PCs do not recognise kml or kmz files. This is why you get the "Adobe Acrobat could not read ... " message. Just to be clear, Adobe Acrobat has nothing to do with the kml or kmz files - the message is spurious.

So, you need to download Google Earth, the Pro client version (not the browser version), and then load the kml and kmz files. GE is a safe product, no need to be concerned about security. And, if you've not used it before, you are in for a treat.

The following instructions are for a Windows PC (version 7 or greater).

1) Agree to and download the GE software from https://www.google.com/earth/download/gep/agree.html

2) Install GE by clicking on the downloaded file from 1 and take all the defaults. It is straightforward and GE should start immediately (if not, double click the desktop icon).

3) Now to 'open' and view my kml and kmz files:

a) Within GE, select 'FILE', select 'OPEN'; a directory browser opens; migrate to wherever you have stored my files; click on them to select and click 'Open'. 
b) GE will load and display the data in the files as overlays to the aerial photography.

That's it! I'll leave you to explore further ... it's simple and powerful.

By the way, as this is PC related and not about Boudica, I suggest you contact me via my email address on my website (left column at bottom).
The download files work for me too on the latest Google Earth Pro...

Excellent they are as well  Smile

Thank you Steve
Deryk
Downloaded Google Earth Pro but still can't open the KMZ files. What am I doing wrong?
Michael King Macdona

(01-22-2018, 04:33 PM)Renatus Wrote: Downloaded Google Earth Pro but still can't open the KMZ files. What am I doing wrong?

ME TOO! NO Idea
The good news is that the kml and kmz files load to Goggle Earth (GE) on some peoples' machines.

Renatus and David Scothorn report problems with the kmz files.

I'm assuming that both have GE working and have loaded the kml file (other assumptions include you running Windows 7, 8 or 10).

First, you should also follow my earlier instructions on how to load the kmz files, i.e. within GE, select 'FILE', select 'OPEN'; a directory browser opens; migrate to wherever you have stored my files; click on them to select and click 'Open'. Do not 'double click' from a directory to open the file because you then rely on a file association having been set with a program - it may not have been.

Secondly, if the kmz still apparently fails to load to GE, zoom-in on the aerial photography and the data may then display. Why?, some old machines are resource bound and GE limits the display of memory intensive displays until you zoom in to a small area (well, it used to do this years ago and may still). By the way, if the file has loaded, but not displayed, you should still see a reference to it in the 'Temporary' file listing in GE (bottom left column).

Thirdly, you may have a corrupted kmz file(s). Check that geomap-edit.kmz is 24,070 KB in size, and that top-100-sites.kmz is 90 KB. Anything else then delete the file and download again.

If you still have problems please report your PC type, op sys, memory, make and model of video card and the version of GE you are running.

Once we have you sorted out we can ask a moderator to delete these PC messages.
(01-23-2018, 09:01 AM)Steve Kaye Wrote: First, you should also follow my earlier instructions on how to load the kmz files, i.e. within GE, select 'FILE', select 'OPEN'; a directory browser opens; migrate to wherever you have stored my files; click on them to select and click 'Open'.

Got there at last. Thanks.
Michael King Macdona

Thanks Steve, I have printed the two additional pages, so don't let me hold you up. I will get there later.

I've now done it too. Thanks.
Dear Moderator,

Please inclusively delete messages 1561 to this one EXCEPT for 1566, the one with the Google Earth instructions - that might be useful to someone in the future.

Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What\'s this on Google Earth? ValentinianVictrix 4 1,727 08-01-2013, 04:10 AM
Last Post: Epictetus
  Stonehenge Google Earth programme Caballo 2 1,591 01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Rubico
  Google Earth bookmarks Rome Jona Lendering 3 1,600 09-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Last Post: Epictetus