Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Roman Empire' on Netflix
I just started watching, so I can't really give a fair assessment yet. But the series about Julius Caesar begins with a scene showing him as a 19-year-old army recruit fighting in a pitched battle as an infantryman. I know that he rose through the ranks, but wouldn't a young man of his background have enlisted as a cavalryman? His family was out of favor during Sulla's reign, but weren't they still relatively wealthy?
Caesar fought in the the Siege of Mytilene in 81 BC when he was 19. At the time he was a Legate under Marcus Minucius Thermus. Caesar wanted to be noticed in battle and, in a siege, that meant scaling the walls, not sitting in a saddle watching other people fight.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(05-12-2019, 10:37 AM)Dan Howard Wrote: Caesar fought in the the Siege of Mytilene in 81 BC when he was 19. At the time he was a Legate under Marcus Minucius Thermus. Caesar wanted to be noticed in battle and, in a siege, that meant scaling the walls, not sitting in a saddle watching other people fight.

This is true, but the scene depicts an open battle in a field, with cavalry action on the flanks, not a siege of a city. He is shown right in the thick of the infantry, front and center. Is it wrong to assume he'd be on horseback for such a skirmish? The corona muralis would have been for just one specific tactical situation that required dismounting? Or would young Caesar not have had a horse at all throughout the campaign?
He rode a horse when the army was moving but the only battle we know he participated in that year was the siege of Mytilene.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Barbarians (Netflix) Marcus F. 11 4,250 10-26-2022, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat