Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JAMS-BRILL!
Congratulations!

I'm very interested in what the first editon's contents will be! Jams-online.com is very good IMHO.
Hi all,

Thanks Jasper! Big Grin

I think jams-online is ideal.

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Many congrats, Jasper, that's excellent news.

As for the on-line title, although I am rather disappointed that it's coming out as JAMS and not JAWS, how about 'No Jams yesterday, No Jams today, but definitely Jams tomorrow'. Or is that too long?!

And if people haven't read any Lewis Carroll, do so! I recommend Jaberwocky.
[url:17u9na0q]http://www.woodslore.org/jaberwocky.htm[/url]

kate
It's great to read the news about the Journal of Ancient Military Studies. It appears I've "enlisted" at a very historic moment. I don't want to be presumptuous, and I'm not a doctoral candidate, but I do have a (post-Master of Divinity) Master of Theology in Patristics... so I've got some modest credentials in the study of the Roman era. I also have an undergrad degree in editorial journalism, and have served on the editorial board of Mythopoeic Press and the editorial review committee of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, for years. If there's anything I can contribute in terms of assisting with the Journal's birthing, count me in. And you can definitely consider me a future subscriber.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Thanks for all the encouragements!
Luckily, Brill will be doing most of the annoying editorial stuff. It'll be up to us and the board of advisors to come up with academic high-level content.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
What is the latest news on JAMS?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Hi Dan,
Well, we're still waiting for the official contract from Brill, but I'm confident that will arrive. We've had some articles offered to us and also an interesting development is going on involving the APA conference in San Diego...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Is this Journal up and running at this point?
Dan Powers
Society of Ancient Military Historians, Secretary
http://arkaion-bellum.com/

“It’s not a matter of being afraid or not, it’s about what you do when you ARE afraid”
No. Brill left it forever and a day, until we decided to start Ancient Warfare. A purely academic sidekick is still a consideration though.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Is there any news on an academic (peer-reviewed) journal on ancient military history?
Hi Cornelius (I guess you're using the Latin version of your first name),
I'm currently talking to the Society of Ancient Military Historians about just this topic, but it'll certainly be a while yet, even if we come to an agreement quickly.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thank you for the information.
Can you in stead recommend me another academic journal that is interested in ancient military history, though not (exclusively) archaeological orientated? I am looking for a journal that is interested in the the social, cultural or legal aspect of the Roman army.

I have found an interesting institute that focusses on ancient military history but the page to their journal is under construction and I cannot find any guidelines to publish an article. Maybe it is not running yet. http://www.mavors.org/en/books_2.htm

I have also found the journal "Revue des études militaires anciennes (REMA)" that is interested in all areas of the ancient military history. However, I have not been able to find the official site with the guidelines to contribute an article. http://www.orient-mediterranee.com/spip....40&lang=fr

Does anyone help me out with the Mavors and the REMA journal?

I did not find any other journal that is not solely focussed on archaeological studies.