Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Status quo of the Imagebase
Publius Sulpicius Peregrinus belongs to the equites speculatores. He is ranked as an auxiliary cavalryman.
However, the equites speculatores were part of the praetoriani and therefore Guard Cavalry.

Tiberius Claudius Maximus was promoted to the rank of decurio, but was already a duplicarius wen performing the exploit depicted. Surely he should rank as an auxiliary cavalry officer.

As the optio legionis is classed as an officer, so should - I think - the cavalry sesquiplicarii and duplicarii. There are no less than four listed:
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
Thanks for the corrections Rob. I'll get on the imagebase when I'm back home again.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Can someone tell me why this inscription has translated the word MONTANUS to Montani?? I have never heard of the Montani before, and have seen other inscription translate the word MONTANUS as either, mountain, or related to mountain. Furthermore when it is a last name it obviously stays as MONTANUS.

[F]irmus /
Ecconis f(ilius) /
mil(es) ex coh(orte) /
Raetorum /
natione M/ontanus /
ann(orum) XXXVI /
stip(endiorum) X[IIII] h[3] [3]es Fuscus /
serv[us] heres [e]x tes[t(amento)] /
po[sui]t
Translation: Firmus, son of Ecco, soldier of the Cohors Raetorum, of the people of the Montani, 36 years of age, served 14, . . . Fuscus, his slave and heir set this up according to his will.

FIRMUS MONTANUS?

Jasper thoughts?

Thanks
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Hi Markus,
Well, the natione has to connect with something! The only other option would be Raetorum, but that goes with Cohors and has the wrong case anyways.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
as you can tell my interest is partially because I've been able to trace my last name to the Latin name Montanus. I'm trying to find out more about Roman people with that last name, specifically from the Provice Raetia, where my ancestors came from (at least traceable back to the 14th century, and believed earlier)

Know of any others? Or more details on this Montani tribe?
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Hi Markus,
Nope, sorry, I'm not too knowledgable about all the peoples in the empire. You could try reposting that as a separate question in MilHist?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Where in Canada are you Markus?

@Jasper, I was wondering if you had come across the name Quintus Magius on any stele? I tried a search but no joy!
It was given to me as a name supposedly as one that existed in the XIIIIth at some time, but I have had little luck in tracking it down.
My resources are limited and it would seem the people on here wouldbe an obvious choice.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:@Jasper, I was wondering if you had come across the name Quintus Magius on any stele? I tried a search but no joy!
I never really keep track of specific names, Byron, but I just tried a search on Manfred Clauss' database and no joy either.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I have lost something.... how is currently possible to access to the imagebase?
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Still no news about the images database, I'm afraid. Do anybody know anything about?
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman soldier tombstones imagebase MagistraF 8 10,101 06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Imagebase for Tabula Ansata 66kbm 0 4,322 04-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Last Post: 66kbm