Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Greek warrior impression
Hi Gianni! you have said exactly all things I was thinking about. The main problem is that the backplate of the cuirass needs to be reshaped to be worn, and I wanted to try the subarmalis to see if it fits better using it. The backplate fits well with the subarmalis, but you can see the shoulder guards problem.

The buckle of the baldric is a "free interpretation" of the craftman who made itSmile
Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
In my opinion the most accurate thing to do is to glue a thick lining to the cuirass and the pteryges will be attached to that. Or, you can cut the shoulder extentions of the subarmalis completely. Greek cuirasses didn't always have pteryges on the shoulders in fact. And certainly not long ones. These only appear in roman art,and only some times,most often being short,about 4cm long.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Hello
I took my newly finished (almost) helmet out for a photo shouting today. Also i wear my excellent wool chlamys, fabric from Claire Marshall. This is not finished,i have yet to add the embroidery.
I didn't have sandals and it is a good experience to go barefoot on such terrain. After the first spiky bush, watching your step becomes second nature! It is much better walking in the plants and dry grass rather than modern farm roads full of stones!
Here are some photos.
6th century Spartiate:

[attachment=1092]P6172815.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1093]P6172823.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1094]P6172836.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1095]P6172843.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1096]P6172847.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1097]P6172852.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1098]P6172856.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1099]P6172863.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1100]P6172875.JPG[/attachment]
And the photographer,my friend Kostas

[attachment=1102]P6172896.JPG[/attachment]

The temperature was about 28C degrees, the helmet was very bearable, i bet due to the wide opening in the front and the leather lining proved very comfortable. The metal surface was very hot after half an hour in the sun.
In my opinion the photos demonstrate that the early archaic hoplites were realy cool,and it's a pity that so few re-enactors choose to portray them.
Khairete
Giannis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Giannis K. Hoplite
Hello
I took my newly finished (almost) helmet out for a photo shouting today. Also i wear my excellent wool chlamys, fabric from Claire Marshall. This is not finished,i have yet to add the embroidery.
I didn't have sandals and it is a good experience to go barefoot on such terrain. After the first spiky bush, watching your step becomes second nature! It is much better walking in the plants and dry grass rather than modern farm roads full of stones!
Here are some photos.
6th century Spartiate:

[attachment=1101]P6172815_2011-06-17.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment]P6172823.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:3]P6172836.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:4]P6172843.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:5]P6172847.JPG[/attachment]

Giannis K. Hoplite
Very atmospheric, Giannis. I particularly like the last one of you sitting on the rock.

What do you have in mind for the crest for your new helmet?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Well,i have an excellent DSC crest for my illyrian helmet which just fits perfectly to this helmet. I just have to find a way of attaching it and that could even be a cheating with a screw from the inside.
However i do want a high crest and i was planning to have DSC make me another crest, but shipping will once again kill me, and i will need to save money for that. I also have many other projects going so the high crest will have to wait.
To be honest,i like the helmet also without a crest. I think i had posted photos of this helmet with the crest in this thread when i had originally cut the cheek guard. In the thread "helmet transformation" i just posted an old photo with this helmet before adding the lining.
I may add some more details of painted palmettes and lotus flower on the forehead,but am not sure yet.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Some photos of "Anabasis" (S-Pb, Russia)

[attachment=1103]z_167c52b5.jpg[/attachment]
2010. journey in Karelian Peninsula highlands

[attachment=1104]z_af2c8008.jpg[/attachment]
2010/ The same. This fallen tree was a nice protection against a night rain =)

[attachment=1105]z_bc8914e6.jpg[/attachment]
The ruins of antic city of Tyra

[attachment=1106]y_61c92353.jpg[/attachment]

Bosporian peltasts in a northern pine-tree wood)))) 2011 - "Antic wars" maneuvres of russian reanactment societies

[attachment=1107]y_9be01c2a.jpg[/attachment]
2011 - "Antic wars" maneuvres of russian reanactment societies. Peltast of IV b.c. vs legionary of II a.d.))

[attachment=1108]y_ff9092d6.jpg[/attachment]
2011 - "Antic wars" maneuvres of russian reanactment societies. Bosporian peltast

[attachment=1109]y_6b9826c2.jpg[/attachment]
2011 - "Antic wars" maneuvres of russian reanactment societies. an ambush

[attachment=1110]y_1e70f7b51.jpg[/attachment]
Bosporian male costume V b.c

[attachment=1111]y_ab374c1a1.jpg[/attachment]
Bosporian male costume V b.c.

Lovchikov Andrey. "ANABASIS" reanactment society, Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
http://anabasisspb.livejournal.com/
http://vk.com/anabasis
https://www.facebook.com/Anabasis-695452...ef=tn_tnmn
Very nice! Are you comming to Marathon 9-12 September? We don't have specific mentiona on Thracians in this battle, in fact we dont't have information for the exact composition of the Persian army,but part of the Thracians were under Persian rule at that time. So, we want you there :-D
And we want any other re-enactors that want to come.
Soon there is going to be a web site with all the information on the Marathon meeting.
Khsire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Awesome pics Andrey and Giannis, wow!!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Great photos Giannis! Looks very evocotive, with the authentic scenery!
Makes me want to go to greece again!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Great photos Giannis! Looks very evocotive, with the authentic scenery!
Makes me want to go to greece again!
Come to Marathon Wink
Some members of the Hoplite Association are comming, Steve Senior for Instance,and others. Perhaps you can come with them?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
I wish! I have no kit, and it is a tight year financially!
But thanks all the same!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
At last! I got some company in my ancient greek life. No matter if he's wearing my equipment,it is a start none the less! ;-)

[attachment=1216]P6302946.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1217]P6302954.JPG[/attachment]
but our friendship didn't last long...

[attachment=1218]P6302958.JPG[/attachment]
"Naaah"

[attachment=1219]P6303019.JPG[/attachment]
Khairete
Giannis

Giannis K. Hoplite
Good job, and nice photos. What a beautiful location, too. And even the rocks look authentically old! 8-)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks. I wish you could really see the beauty of the location. It is a steep hill, like an acropolis,just over ancient Traianoupolis,in coastal Thrace. The view from up there is stunning,and of course even the hottest day there is this so pleasing wind!
The place has been a fortress since antiquity and one can still see the scattered stones of the walls/houses. There is also a well which still has water.
Giannis K. Hoplite

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wigs good for Greek hoplite impression? dienekes7 0 433 02-20-2021, 08:16 PM
Last Post: dienekes7
  Questions about Hellenistic Greek Thureophoros impression; in need of some advice. JanasAurora 3 4,499 06-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Last Post: TemenosL.1991
  Show here your Byzantine warrior impression Robert Vermaat 86 82,334 10-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk