Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Greek warrior impression
Yes, the one with the marvellously painted pelte is not me. I don't like splendid or adorned weapons and armour at all. And I'm a poor peltast, not a wealthy one. :wink: Perhaps my archer will be a bit more wealthy, but I doubt it. 8)

Why has Marco a spear/dory? There were depictions of Thracian peltasts with spears as weapons instead of javelins. So Marco is a close combat peltast at the moment.

When you look at our pictures you should take into account that our group is relatively new and the equipment is far from being perfect, for example with the aspides, pezhetairoi shields, swords or body armour. Marco as a Thracian peltast is the guy with the best equipment I think.

But being not perfectly equipped is a good thing, so you can get better and avoid being saturated and bored. :wink:
Wolfgang Zeiler
Right...no influence from the Alexander mosac,then.But that cavalry man has indeed some common characteristics,like the leopard skin on the horse etc.
I can see now the same cavarly man on the wall painting Kurt posted.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Many thanks for your responses, gentlemen ! Smile

Quote:My friend Marco took as templet a variant version from paintings in a hillgrave(?) from Alexandrowo. Hope this helps

...indeed it does ! Big Grin That is a marvellous find I had not seen before.

Quote:I don't like splendid or adorned weapons and armour at all. And I'm a poor peltast, not a wealthy one. Perhaps my archer will be a bit more wealthy, but I doubt it.

...I am with you there ! It is good to show the plain and poor as well as the elaborate and wealthy. So many follow the natural tendency toward 'the best' - so a group can end up with many chiefs, and no indians ! :? lol: (Baldrick is a dirt poor servant in the comedy Blackadder series on T.V.)

Quote:Why has Marco a spear/dory? There were depictions of Thracian peltasts with spears as weapons instead of javelins. So Marco is a close combat peltast at the moment.
Yes, I was aware of that, just wondered if he were going to add javelins at some point ( many thracian peltasts carried both, and the Dii tribe were famed for their use of the machaira )

Thank you once again, gentlemen, for sharing your photos.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Baldrick is the guy with the cunning plans, isn't he? :lol:
Wolfgang Zeiler
Quote:Baldrick is the guy with the cunning plans, isn't he? :lol:
Somebody has been watching "Black Adder"....
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Yes, indeed, Wolfgang ! And the actor ( Tony Robinson) also does an interesting archaeological program called "Time team".

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
It's totally ot :roll: , but: Black Adder was shown in German tv some years ago and, thanks to the gods, in English with subtitles (which is an exception in Germany). I liked the serial. Is it only me or did you also notice a significant change in the plot after the first chapter? And during the last chapter (WWI) I often "forgot" to laugh. Very well made.
Wolfgang Zeiler
Yes, the first series had Black adder as an almost 'mr Bean' type rather stupid character, but in the rest of the series the writing team changed to Curtis, and Ben Elton ( another famous comedian) - the remaining series became much funnier and sharper as a result, with the character of Blackadder changed to a cynical sharp-witted fellow. Smile D lol:

And the final WW1 series was definitely more poignant and carried a message about the futility of war.

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Yes, the first series had Black adder as an almost 'mr Bean' type rather stupid character, but in the rest of the series the writing team changed to Curtis, and Ben Elton ( another famous comedian) - the remaining series became much funnier and sharper as a result, with the character of Blackadder changed to a cynical sharp-witted fellow. Smile Very Happy Laughing
My uncle once observed that as his station in life got lower, he got smarter...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
The Black Russian codpiece, and Tom Baker's "You have a woman's hands, my lord!!" still crack me up.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
..Or how about "Bob's" father saying to her :-
" Why go to London to make your fortune ? You can make a very good living on your back right here !! "

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Cretan Mercenary marine sporting the "Delphinios Apollo" badge.
http://www.theimagefile.com/?skin=7605& ... d=mf7719vs
http://www.theimagefile.com/?skin=7605& ... d=mf7719vs

Courtesy of our friend Marcus Germanicus Ferox.
Kind regards
Last Event Mare Nostrium (Brisbane) & Sydney Ancients ( Sydney) COLO River.

The Last Stand stand of Hoplite and Peltast before being over run by Triarii.
Yeap Lefkpopetra revisited.

Kind regards
Quote:Last Event Mare Nostrium (Brisbane) & Sydney Ancients ( Sydney) COLO River.

The Last Stand stand of Hoplite and Peltast before being over run by Triarii.

Seems like you had great fun.

[size=59:10bvxg01]Darn pesky Romans![/size]
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wigs good for Greek hoplite impression? dienekes7 0 434 02-20-2021, 08:16 PM
Last Post: dienekes7
  Questions about Hellenistic Greek Thureophoros impression; in need of some advice. JanasAurora 3 4,500 06-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Last Post: TemenosL.1991
  Show here your Byzantine warrior impression Robert Vermaat 86 82,341 10-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk