Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help with Latin translation
Thank You friends,<br>
<br>
Flavius,<br>
<br>
thank You for the correct texts, I am rather sure that I will take one of them. About the aquilifer - indeed I had the same idea, there is some place yet before and behind the 4 that are marching on the road. And I also thought of an aquilifer or vexillifer especially because that would give me the opportunity to display an item that has been found on the battlefield at Kalkriese, the famous face mask. It can be seen beautiful painted by Angus McBride in Osprey's Warrior Nr. 71 "Roman Legionary 58 BC–AD 69".<br>
<br>
The general must be Aulus Caecina Severus. I placed the tumbstone of Marcus Caelius at the edge of way, so the scene is placed near to the winter quarters of legiones V and XXI, castra Vetera (modern Xanten), where it was found. I assume, the stone will have been set during the first 5 years after the Varus desaster. According to Emil Ritterling (Caecina 1242) it was Caecina who led those legions from Xanten to the campaign against the Marsi (Tac. ann. I 50).<br>
<br>
To show him bare headed, I will think it over, I like the type of helmet the figure is wearing because I can easily convert it into a late Hellenistic officer's helmet.<br>
<br>
Jeroen,<br>
<br>
from left to right: the man holding up his pilum is a strongly changed soft plastic legionary, I think from Italeri's set. The tin soldier walking left of him is from El Viejo Dragon "CG20 - Praetorian Guard". Before them are Andrea's SG-F29a (the tin figure) and beside this is the lower part of Andrea's SG-F17a (originally in segmentata and with a mule), the latter's upper half has been scratched.<br>
<br>
The centurio standing beside Caelius' tumbstone is from Men-at-arms and will receive a new paint and another helmet. The 'general' is also from Men-at-arms, originally the Carthaginian Standard bearer, the horse is of soft plastic. Caelius' stone is of wood and milliput as well as the infantryman's stone that still has to be made.<br>
Other very fine figures I have still in my mind are the new marching legionaries of 'Soldiers'.<br>
<br>
Greets, Uwe<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uwebahr>Uwe Bahr</A> at: 11/18/04 3:51 pm<br></i>
Greets - Uwe

Messages In This Thread
Rapaces signa inferunt - Vetera, 14 CE - by Uwe Bahr - 11-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Infantry man\'s grave stone - by Uwe Bahr - 11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Re: Rapaces signa inferunt - Vetera, 14 CE - by Anonymous - 12-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Small scale - by Tarbicus - 01-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Re: Small scale - by Uwe Bahr - 01-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Re: Small scale - by Tarbicus - 01-27-2005, 02:48 AM
Wow! - by Caius Fabius - 05-09-2005, 08:16 PM