Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reenacting with limited resources
Hello,

Brother, I can understand your plight. Many years ago (about 25) I was in your same shoes, a young guy making minimum wage, wanting to get involved in living history. Despite the many odd looks from my mom, I still managed to become involved in many different time periods. Here are my suggestions:

1. I started my credit by taking out a loan at the credit union. My father co-signed the loan and I used the money to purchase several original pieces from the period I was interested in. It was a good investment for the future, I started to build my credit, and it taught me to be responsible with my money and to maximize my purchases. I later sold the pieces as they grew in value for more items.

2. I was careful to purchase only the most authentic gear which would allow me the greatest range of impressions. That way I could fit in with any good, quality, authentic group and not have to worry about spending extra money to replace crappy gear later on.

3. I learned to hand sew. If you can make your own clothing based on correct patterns and construction techniques, you can save money on your impression.

4. Find a mentor. Still, years after becoming involved in this hobby I still have mentors. Might I suggest Matt Lukes (RAT member from Canada), Martin Moser (RAT member from Germany) and many others I ask their forgiveness for not mentioning their names. In the "old days" you had to use the telephone, but with the Internet, it is so much easier..

and perhaps the most important...

5. DO RESEARCH...your library card can be the most important part of your kit. Do not believe "word of mouth" sources. Visit museums. Read...read...read...build up your documentation, prove your sources, and start a file to prove your impression.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about living history I would be more than happy to help a "young blood"
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee

Messages In This Thread
Reenacting with limited resources - by Dornicus - 12-06-2006, 12:56 AM
I was once young... - by Mark Headlee - 12-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Re: I was once young... - by M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 12-06-2006, 02:06 AM
Yes sir... - by Mark Headlee - 12-06-2006, 02:16 AM
Re: Yes sir... - by M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 12-06-2006, 02:23 AM
how big a head? - by richard - 12-06-2006, 03:44 AM
Re: I was once young... - by Martin Moser - 12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Re: Reenacting with limited resources - by Avatar - 12-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Re: Reenacting with limited resources - by SOCL - 12-07-2006, 03:46 PM