Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hadrian Wall Garrison 4th Century AD (Around 360 AD)
Quote: Hi Caius Here , While perhaps there was no uniform in the Modern sense, There must have been a Degree of Uniformity in terms of Helms armour and Swords. First of All Chain Mail would have given a visual effect of Uniformity as well as all the men having the same sheild types, As well a Static unit on the Wall

Hi Thomas,
You say 'must', but why 'must' that have been the case? In the sense of all soldiers dressed in armour looking as they belong to one group, sure, but where do you find the evidence that all equipment 'must' have looked similar?

Quote: Most of the men would have the same basic helm (Simple Ridge) while some might have an older helm(Lets say this is an early to Mid 4th century unit, say 1-3 old Aux e still kicking around. While wealthier soliders and Officers would have the more jewled and Gilded helms sutiable for Men of wealth and Status.
Again, why 'must' the ranks have had the same helmet type? Because we expect them to? I seriously doubt that the older Aux types were around for long - repairing them would become ever more difficult. We even have the Florence helmet, which is an older Aux type that has been 're-done' in an Intercisa-like style!

Quote:I think while Modern Reenactors do a great Job in protraying Late Roman Troops, They dress themselves in what they want and like, These men may not have had the same freedom of choice and wealth as we do. It is my honest belief with all do respect to others, that there was in fact more Uniform dress then we belive to be the case. Also men who are not well paid and supplied as often has been stated would not have turned down unit issue of Clothing. Itwas in all likely hood a uniform colour and cut
Why? Aren't you naming exactly the reasons that would make a unit show all tyupes and colors (which they bought locally or had made/sent by their families)? We know that the state-produced good often fell in arrears, so I don't expect that Late Roman units had lots of high quality uniform clothing to choose from! With decoration we immediately see the personal touch - individuals showed and flaunted decorated clothing, and so far we don't see any uniformly clothed Late Roman units.

So no uniform. We can assume all we want of course, but so far I have yet to see it!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Uniform Armour and Arms - by Caius Valens - 12-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Re: Uniform Armour and Arms - by Robert Vermaat - 12-09-2006, 03:49 PM
uniforms - by Graham Sumner - 12-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Re: uniforms - by Robert Vermaat - 12-09-2006, 03:55 PM
helmets - by Graham Sumner - 12-10-2006, 12:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auxilia - Tungrian on Hadrian\'s Wall Paul Elliott 19 5,709 11-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall ParthianBow 52 13,612 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Hadrian\'s Wall Charity Walk Tony Riches 9 2,557 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: chrisanson