Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you mean, The Celtic cross?
Hi all,
my knowledge of Celtic Crosses is somewhat different. Basically, under-educated people believe that a Celtic cross is a little changed Catholic cross. The symbolic meaning of such a cross is rather complicated. A lot of it depends on the time when a given cross was made, because later on, around 10 century AD the Celtic Crosses indeed served as Catholic representations of faith (such as the High Cross in Monasterboice, Ireland, which was basically a picture Bible for the illiterate). However returning to the main point. The circle around the arms of the cross have few meanings, all of which are equally valid. Some that I remember are that the circle:
1. means a circle of life that always returns to the beginning.
2. also could be a representation of the year, either solar or lunar,
3. symbolises the unity and integrity.

One of the theories says that a Celtic cross symbolises a bridge, a connection with another world, higher power, knowledge or wisdom. The horizontal arms represent the other world and the vertical arm represents our physical world. When the arms meet in the center, a balance is achieved which produces a feeling of completeness and unity. In addition to that we have the symbol of a circle, which I explained above.

Cheers
an Ovate-in-training

[size=75:1ete1881]Katarzyna Klimas[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Re: What do you mean, The Celtic cross? - by Branwynn - 01-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Another Celtic simbol - by Treveri Gaul - 03-07-2007, 09:44 AM
The Ancient Hungary - by Treveri Gaul - 03-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Re: The Ancient Hungary - by Robert Vermaat - 03-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Re: Another Celtic simbol - by Arahne - 03-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Re: Another Celtic simbol - by Robert Vermaat - 03-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Etruskan= Proto Hungaryan? - by Treveri Gaul - 05-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Re: Etruskan= Proto Hungaryan? - by drsrob - 05-22-2007, 07:50 AM