Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athenian Peltasts and Light Infantry
Thanks Felix and Stephanos. I'll definitely take your advice on the subject. I just ordered Hansons' Western Way of War and Michael Sage's Warfare in Ancient Greece: A Sourcebook, which I hope will shed light on the subject.

I also read a really good article on the nature of political power in Athens regarding the thetes if anybody is interested. The article is titled "Equalities and Inequalities in Athenian Democracy" by Kurt A. Raaflaub. I think it is in a book edited by Josiah Ober and Charles Hedrick titled Demokratia: A Conversation on Democracies, Ancient and Modern. It was very enlightening and it really discussed the different class equalities inside the citizen body of Athens. A very good read! If I can find it on-line, I'll be sure to post a link.

Raaflaub uses primary sources and mostly discusses the political rights of the thetes, however, he does dive into the military action of the thetes, and briefly mentions the cavalry class as well. Probably will be helpful to anyone interested in the subject.
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Athenian Peltasts and Light Infantry - by TraderTrey9785 - 03-26-2007, 12:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About light troops psiloi & peltasts hoplite14gr 0 1,366 07-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Peltasts and armor Danielmeijers 2 1,311 07-05-2013, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Macedon
  Peltasts and chariots at Cunaxa Sean Manning 26 5,578 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Last Post: koechlyruestow