Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what was the function of the Roman cavalry?
The one book I have read on the Republic's cavalry emphasized that they were the equal or superior to most opponents. The problem was numbers, and this worsened as more and more rich Romans chose to become infantry officers rather than serve as common cavalry. By Caesar's time hiring foreign cavalry was a better option for most commanders.

One of Waldemar Hackel’s graduate students is working on this subject too. See [url:2rl34wt5]http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/uofcpublications/umagazine/fall2006/generationR[/url]

Judging from her comments on the Macedonian lance, she hadn’t read Connolly’s article on the subject at the time of the interview (a friend of his experimented succesfully with a 5 m sarissa from horseback).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: what was the function of the Roman cavalry? - by S AUFIDIUS - 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
overrunning - by Goffredo - 04-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Re: overrunning - by Robert Vermaat - 04-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Re: overrunning - by Aryaman2 - 04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Re: what was the function of the Roman cavalry? - by Sean Manning - 04-09-2007, 04:28 PM