Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Museums, Science and Piety
Salvete!

I went to the museum here in Berlin once again last week and a thought crossed my mind and I'd like to hear your opinions.

First of all, I'm a student of ancient history and I know the importance of examining the things found. I also think it is important to examine human remains to learn more about the past. but there is one thing I dislike.

In the museum they had some finds from Kalkriese, including some human bones and a skull. As I said I think it's necessary to examine human remains to learn more about lifestyle, wounds, whatever but do they all have to be displayed? It is something different if it is a biological exhibition where they show prepared remains of people who agreed to be used for such things after death. But do they really need to show the scattered bones of a soldier who died and was burried on a battlefield?

Don't get me wrong, it's not a religious thing, I just think it's unnecessary and not very polite towards the dead. Same thing, or even worse, was when I saw a documentary last time about the pharaos. There as well I asked myself. I mean, great that we can examine them but is it necessary to have the son of a god displayed naked behind glass? Wouldn't it be ok to show 1 mummy or a reconstruction of how they were prepared and burried. They can show the mask of Tutankhamon but why his body naked wrapped in a piece of cloth?

When I think about such things I'm happy they didn't find Alexander. The thought of the great Makedonian king and son of Zeus lying naked behind a piece of glass in the museum in Kairo is not very nice imho.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]

Messages In This Thread
Museums, Science and Piety - by L C Cinna - 04-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Re: Museums, Science and Piety - by L C Cinna - 04-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Re: Museums, Science and Piety - by Tarbicus - 04-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Re: Museums, Science and Piety - by Magnus - 04-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Re: Museums, Science and Piety - by Magnus - 04-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Re: Museums, Science and Piety - by hoplite14gr - 04-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Re: Museums, Science and Piety - by hoplite14gr - 04-06-2007, 01:08 PM
anthropologically speaking - by richard - 04-06-2007, 04:29 PM