Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation
Arguments against the traditional model for hoplite combat often strike me as too specialized. Yes, by selective use of the few Classical sources you can make an open order thesis look somewhat plausible. But what if you look at other, better known societies?

Historical parallels show that dense shield walls have often been used. They show even more clearly that dense, deep pike blocks on the Macedonian model have been used. Modern reenactors can get small segments of a phalanx to work in the way the traditional model suggests. Historical parallels, and the experience of martial artists with the right skills, also support the idea that hoplite arms are not designed for open order. Thus the traditional model, while it may not be entirely correct, on the balance seems to fit the majority of the Classical evidence and that from other societies. As far as I can tell without reading it, van Wees' model does neither, but one day I shall read it and form a more conclusive opinion.

As Felix has recently noted, during the 17th and 18th century many troops, often cold, wet, hungry, underpaid, and despised by officers and civilians, were willing to stand under cannon and musket fire for hours while 40 or 50% of them died. The winners of many battles and sieges often suffered 20-30% dead, and had a lifetime of the same to look forward to! Never underestimate what good troops can do. That is one of the great and terrible things about war, that it can get men to show such courage in what is often so bad a cause.

Re: Homer, there are strong arguments that it shows a mix of military traditions like it shows a mix of traditions about marraige and burial. There are proto-holpite influences, Mycenaean influences, and Greek Dark Age heroic warrior influences, mediated through the desire to tell tales about warrior superheroes. That said, I'm no Homerist.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation - by Sean Manning - 04-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Re: Hoplites fighting in Phalanx formation - by Anonymous - 04-07-2007, 10:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Street fighting hoplites Jona Lendering 17 3,574 07-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Hoplites and Phalanx Combat Anonymous 2 3,540 12-26-2003, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Anonymous