Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armor Penetration and Armor resistance.
Thanks, Giannis, but I am still not convinced your translation is correct - though I hasten to add I am no Greek speaker, either classical or modern!

It seems to me you have taken the original greek phrases out of order, to arrive at your suggested meaning. This may be due to the difficulties of translating twice - classical greek to modern greek to English !!
The translations I have read "....could sling further than the persian slingers, and even further than most of their archers." (Rex Warner, Penguin edition) and "....carried farther with their missiles than the Persians, farther even than the bowmen." (Carleton Brownson, Loeb edition ) seem to me to be more accurate.
Would anyone with a better Classical Greek than mine care to comment ?

Thank you also Giannis for pointing out that the Persian slingers were stone- armed. Xenophon specifically remarks on their large size at iii.17.
But just to muddy the waters, shortly after the passage under debate, Xenophon says "A number of bow-strings were found in the villages and some lead also which could be used for the slings." So the Persians certainly had lead available to them, if they chose to use it.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: Armor Penetration and Armor resistance. - by Anonymous - 05-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Re: Armor Penetration and Armor resistance. - by Anonymous - 05-15-2007, 09:54 AM
armor penetration - by Paullus Scipio - 05-25-2007, 07:22 AM
Re: Armor Penetration and Armor resistance. - by Anonymous - 05-28-2007, 11:42 AM
armour penetration - by Paullus Scipio - 05-31-2007, 05:13 AM
Armour pentration and Armour resistance - by Paullus Scipio - 05-31-2007, 10:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,510 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book rocktupac 151 60,393 09-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Youtube on Greek armor and stuff richsc 0 1,222 12-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Last Post: richsc