Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius
Thanks for the help Rick. Oak wouldn't have been my first choice and, I still might go with something else but, I probably won't because if I do it will bother me that I know the original was and, the one I made isn't........
All part of the fun :twisted: . Sometimes I think they did things the hard way just for fun.

Of course I have no idea what type of wood the guards where made from on this one. Oak would've been the logical choice for them.

I had never seen a Parazonium nifty Big Grin .

Someone did a early Migration era spatha and, made the pommel cap from bone. I don't know what if any proof they had for this but, it looked good and, would explain why the pommel caps are missing on so many swords of this type.
You know put a sword in the ground for a thousand years plus the last thing that should perish is a bronze pommel cap but, I only know of one that has survived :?: .

Well I'm off to bed.
Take care, Dave.
Dave Akers.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius - by Firmus4474 - 05-27-2007, 05:34 AM
mantra - by Caius Fabius - 05-29-2007, 05:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,705 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,793 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,430 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer