Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius
I went back to read that first post. I guess what confused me was that you mentioned using bar stock and stock reduction, which in my area of the world refers to metal. Sorry for the lamguage misunderstanding.

Also when I am starting a tutorial, (as a military instructor and high school teacher) I always want to plan the lesson as if no one knows what I am talking about, starting at the lowest common task, in this case, finding a proper pattern, or wood that would have been used by the Romans, or whatever, rather than assuming that everyone has my research and everyone already knows what I intend, if I forget to mention it in the course introduction.

I do understand old computers, I am forced to work and write at 4000 baud, (4K) with a keybord that has some broken keys, it always makes my posts a bit more 'interesting'.

best of luck

Quote:Salve all!

I have been wondering how many members of this forum would be interested in having a pictorial sword making tutorial available to those who would like to give it a go. It would of course be sequential and begin with the theoretical topics such as design principals, shape, patterns etc. In other words being presented in a logical/thorough manner so as to assure anyone with basic skills a successful creation.

What has really personally kept me from entering the reenacting arena is the sheer cost of the gear involved. When the day is done we have a major investment outlay and not all of us can afford such wonders any time soon.

This would be based on the assumption that one has no tools/materials at all and a list of absolute essentials will be given and the end costs which would be well under the cost of a single middle range or even lower range sword.

Learning to make your own gear is not only challenging it is extremely satisfying. The process here would focus on the use of easily found bar stock and use of the stock reduction method. ....
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Messages In This Thread
mantra - by Caius Fabius - 05-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Re: Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius - by Caius Fabius - 06-02-2007, 06:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,705 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,793 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,430 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer